Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Hi there from Arizona

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tod Gilliland
    Participant

Hello everyone, i hope you are all having a good day. I just started playing the Sax over the weekend. Challenging to say the least! I picked up a student starter to begin with. Figure i can always upgrade if i want to later on. I bought a E.F. Durand. Alto.

jake
      Participant

Welcome and congrats on your journey of starting the saxophone. There’s lots of work ahead but if you are like us here, its worth the work put in. Johnny has many free videos to get you started. If you haven’t already, check out his book for getting started. It should have everything you need to get you off to a strong fundamental start!! Enjoy!!

Tod Gilliland
        Participant

Thanks jake, i did play keyboard briefly about 30 years ago so i do have a little bit of an edge, I guess.
          I just hope that my age….50….. is not a hinderance.
          I just love the sound , and especially the style that Johnny has developed. Hope i can sound half that good someday.

ok, back to practicing 🙂

john
          Keymaster

Hey there, ya that horn will be fine for you. See how it goes and what you should pay more attention to over the next little bit is your mouthpiece and reeds. These 2 things can be changed and upgraded if necessary for very little money….now that you have a sax to get started. If your saxophone is in good working condition you can go far with it by working on your technique and finding the right reeds and mouthpiece.

Tod Gilliland
            Participant

I will for sure pick up another mouthpiece. Thanks for the tips Johnny.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.