Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Introducing Myself

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen Thomas
    Participant

As very beginner don't spend a lot of time on things like growling because you need to develope some basic things first. I know it's fun and maybe irresistable for some people (it was for me!) but try and spend your time on embouchure, breathing and fingerings and scales etc for a while. The better you get at those things the easier the growling and stuff will come later.

john
      Keymaster

Hey good for you, those saxes are quite rare. Maybe separating the horn from it's case for a while is a good idea!

Also, replacing the pads will be good, not only for getting rid of some of it's musty smell but if it has sat that long those pads may need to go and it's the one thing that might make you notice a difference in it's playing.

I wouldn't worry about the case too much. If you really want to keep it leave it open outside to air it out as long as you can then clean it lightly with something like soap and warm water.

good luck
        Johnny

Kathleen Thomas
        Participant

Johhny,
          It is a pretty cool old sax. The case is the original which is the main reason I want to keep it. I have used Febreeze on the fabric and carpet freshener, it is alot better. I am going to let it air out before the sax gets anywhere near it again. I don't want the sax to smell like fresh linen. I have now, with your help, been able to successfully play a C scale! It is a little (actually, alot) rough. But it makes noise that didn't just sound like fog horn. I also played my first real(ish) song on the sax, Mary Had a Little Lamb. Amazing I know. I tried your growling technique, which is way harder for me than I think it really should be. Your wesite is amazing, I haven't met with my sax teacher yet so it is nice to have some knowledge before I meet with him. Thank you so much, I am looking forward to more videos from you.

john
          Keymaster

As very beginner don't spend a lot of time on things like growling because you need to develope some basic things first. I know it's fun and maybe irresistable for some people (it was for me!) but try and spend your time on embouchure, breathing and fingerings and scales etc for a while. The better you get at those things the easier the growling and stuff will come later.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.