Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? is your sax out of tune higher up?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

might be worth watching this

Anonymous

well there you have it – my sax has exactly the same problems as in the video – looks like when i buy my next sax – i will be taking a tuner in with me!

Anonymous

Hi James

I have two questions :-

1) What would this operation cost?
          2) What does Yamaha think about it? – i.e. has their Quality Control become so bad?

Anonymous

can’t answer either questions.

All i know its dusgusting when you all that money for a sax – and they can’t fit a decent neck. Perhaps this is the reason they sell saxes with cheap plastic mouthpieces, so you don’t notice it.

Mines definitely got a duff neck!
            I have to embouchure down to get round it! In the video they didn’t fix the mid D, mines exactly the same (but thats a body problem instead – so the guys say adjust your embouchure, as its a lot of work to fix).

Like i say, i will definitely be taking a tuner in the shop when i buy my next sax, and i shall be checking all the keys. A few keys ok, but a whole bunch of keys is dire!

Anonymous

James, that is terrible! If one note is out in the range it means the hole is in the wrong place and the sax wasn’t designed or built properly.

The mouthpiece, and neck are both parts which make up the sax, and when they are sold together they really should come with an acoustic range calibration certificate (and why not?).

Clearly the make and model alone can no longer be trusted. I shall certainly take my Chromatic tuner with me when I buy another sax.

Thanks for bringing this fraudulent practice to our attention.

Anonymous

someone on youtube says get a pro model after about 2 years as any thing below that will hold your progress back, and was holding his progress back. Now i know exactly what he was talking about. He said the difference it made was unbelievable.

i was looking at upgrading to the yamaha 62 model in the video – now i’m going to look a the yani’s, as the chaps in out local store rate them better than yamaha’s. I don’t want to go the selmar route – unless someone out there wants to get me one!😀🎷😀

Anonymous

looks like this could be the answer to my problem

http://www.sax.co.uk/yamaha-av1-alto-saxophone-neck.ir

but thats aimed at the top end of the yamaha range, looks they blame the sax player for not playing the top range!

john
                  Keymaster

yes, crazy weird stuff. good video thanks JB. sadly this is happening but it’s probably on just certain models from certain manufacturers. when you get to the top lines I don’t think there’s this problem…. I’m hoping anyway! replacing the neck with a better neck is often a good idea and something many will do anyways because this alone can have an improvement in your sound.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.