Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds I’ve created a PDF sheet that can be used for testing out Reeds

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant
      sxpoet
      Participant
        sxpoet
        Participant

can someone check the last link is working please? So i can tell if it is possible for me to share stuff.
          thanks

Mel
          Participant

I saw Questions across the top of the PDF.

No boxes were checked and it didn’t list reed type or strength

sxpoet
            Participant

Thanks Mel,
              it’s supposed to be a blank sheet that i can fill in when i retest 11 different reeds on my mouthpiece, to find which one works best with the ‘Michelle’ backing track.

but i also need to have a log of how each read behaves when i play through 12 Major Scales.

All the reeds are brand new, straight out the box, and with no tampering with – to file them in any way would ruin the tests.

sxpoet
              Participant

i also needed to know if this way of sharing works – so thanks again

Leo Salu
                Participant

James i was not able to open the first link but the second opened fine, pretty interesting test data, (impressive work) i might use it on the four different fiberreeds i use. I working on johnnys song “Walk don’t run” and i have been playing the hemp reed, going to try the black onyx and then carbon will use your sheet to check off
                  how that goes.

sxpoet
                  Participant

Thanks Leo, after trying out different reeds, i was trying to narrow it down as to the noticeable differences between all the reeds, and a comment column thinking which type of song it was better suited to, if i needed a different strength, or if not to buy that type of reed again.

Also, i wanted a pdf to look back on later on, to remind me how each reed behaved with the same mouthpiece, as i don’t need to throw them out, as they are all playable.

imho i don’t think it is necessary to file a reed only unless it is unplayable, rather than throwing it away. You might improve it, but you also stand a better chance of ruining the reed by making it weaker if you don’t know what you are doing to it.

sxpoet
                    Participant

i found some reeds were not too consistent in their behaviour, ie when i played through all 12 major scales, some reeds started to get slightly worse, that’s why my pdf questions were narrowed down to identifying a reed that always behaved the same, if not’s behaving the same all the time in a test, then you can’t rely on it to behave the same all the way through a song.

It’s just me trying to identify a good solid reed, even if it doesn’t sound perfect, it’s the reliability of the reed.

sxpoet
                      Participant

Reeds sound like when you turn the treble dial on a speaker, they can sound very sharp and clear on high notes or the complete opposite.
                        Similarly reeds can sound like when you turn the bass dial on a speaker, the low notes can be standing out more or less.

This also needs to match to the style of the backing track. Could have added another two columns to the pdf – extremely clear upper notes? and extremely clear lower notes?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.