Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Jody Jazz Mouthpieces…Good, Bad or Indifferent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jessica Lewis
    Participant

I am looking to upgrade my mouthpiece from the cheap and nasty plastic one you get with your horn. I am not too near any decent music shops so I have to do most of my shopping online and wanted to get some opinions on the Jody Jazz range of mouthpieces. I play an Alto, mostly band music and jazz tracks, and like the sound of the Jody Jazz 45*. It seems to have a decent right up and more importantly for me a decent price tag.

What are anyone’s opinions and experiences on this mouthpiece or others in his range. Also maybe some mouthpieces that would be comparable. I appreciate any and all opinions as it cuts through a lot of the unfortunate guess work of buying online.

Cheers

Richard West
      Participant

I believe Warren Hill uses a Jody Jazz and He sounds fantastic but maybe
        that’s because He’s been playing for many years which must a have a bearing on how
        He sounds and plays.

Until I started playing Alto Sax in July of this year I had no idea there are so many
        mouthpiece options I’ve been playing Clarinet for 50 years and always used the
        mouthpiece that came with each Clarinet and I think I have a beautiful
        tone that is just the result of years of practice,practice and More practice

john
        Keymaster

Yes, a lot of our tone production comes from our embouchure and air support but on the saxophone the mp can really change this depending on the structure of it. I’m not sure about clarinet mp’s but these days for sax there are so many options as far as size, chamber, bore, materials etc that all these things really can make a difference in our tone… for better and for worst!

Richard West
          Participant

Johnny I’m amazed by the amount of choice of MPs for saxes
            Not sure where to look next Sir for My Yamaha Alto which has a 4 C
            Mp which in getting used to probably going to try a Jody Jazz and perhaps
            a metal mp as well

Watch this space will let you know how I get on

john
            Keymaster

sounds good. there’s good things n being said about Jody Jazz, I’ve try one or 2 and liked them as well. I think the best ones I’ve tried lately tho are Theo Wanne’s, he’s got it together there, but they are on the expensive side… maybe double of a typical Jody Jazz.

Don Earnhardt
              Participant

I have a Jody Jazz DV for alto and it plays great! Almost plays itself. However, it is pretty bright and therefor well suited for jazz play, but not so much for classical style play. I also have a Jody Jazz Jet for alto that plays pretty well too, but I like the DV much better. The Jet is also bright and better suited for jazz than classical.

Anonymous

that’s interesting about the setup comment,
                  i recently had to buy a couple of Selmar
                  mouthpieces, just to get a more classical
                  sound as 3 classical pieces i was playing
                  for my grade 2 exam just didn’t cut it with
                  my existing jazz mouthpieces – they were
                  too bright and overly loud.
                  For me its the first time vandoren reeds
                  worked for me, only in a classical setup, but
                  not in my other setups. Now i understand
                  why a lot of players that i have met, who
                  play classical stuff in orchestras rave
                  about vandoren reeds.
                  Looks like i’ll be growing a collection of
                  setups for different styles of music!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.