Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Just found the perfect combo for me

• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by john.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jackie Moody
    Participant

I have been playing alto for about 8 months now. I have been playing guitar for 54 years and have to admit, I’m a tone chaser. After several trials/failures (Yamaha 4C, Vandoren Optimum AL3 Meyer 5M), I have finally found the perfect mouthpiece/reed combination for me. Vandoren Optimum AL5, Rovner Light ligature, and Vandoren V21 2.5 reeds. I had been using the V12 2.5 reeds and I liked them better than the traditional/blue box reeds, but when I tried the V21 (I bought a sampler pack), I thought I died and went to heaven. The tone is just unexplainable. The intonation is spot on, the low notes are full and round, and I can now play the high notes up to F (thanks to watching Johnny’s video on fingering) and the neighbors don’t leave town. AND, I haven’t heard any dogs howling either. LOL

Anyway, hope that information helps someone. Finding the perfect mouthpiece/ligature/reed combination is a very daunting task and may get frustrating, but keep trying and you will find it.

Pete
      Participant

Hope it last, we have all been there i bet you will eventually change to another reed in time.

john
        Keymaster

it’s interesting and sometimes quite funny…
          some people search and eventually find and stay with that combo.
          some people search, find a perfect combo but later start searching again. this could be mouthpieces, reeds horns.
          my friend changes mp’s often (not sure about his reeds). he’s a great player but is always needing to have a different mp.
          I bought my Guardal MBI after he let me try his. this was around 1989-90. I still have and use mine. he’s gone thru dozens since then.
          I think we feel a need to change something if there’s something that does not feel right. so if everything’s good except the high notes, then we figure out what it is that might help that. sounds to me like Jackie may be quite happy for some time…hope so!

brother cavefish
          Participant

i have had many MPs myself, just had to see what was out there, my favorite so far is my refaced Otto links, they never get old, also have Gerbers, and a few theo wanne

john
            Keymaster

not familiar with Gerbers, went to the site but is being updated….does he just make hard rubber models?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.