Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Tips keep blowing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    sxpoet
    Participant
      Leo Salu
      Participant

Hello SP great article hopefully it is true, at my age i need all the help i can get, BTW i am working on a new song “smooth operator” and the first bar of the solo is extremely fast too fast for me to read and play, so i believe it was you who said some passages need to be memorized rather than read as you play boy that really is true on this solo. I can play it slowly but when i apply the track what a mess can’t read fast enough. LS

sxpoet
        Participant

I agree with you Leo, i can’t see how the average person can possibly read and play fast tempo passages involving 32nd and 64th notes in various combinations. The eyes can’t keep up, and it’s impossible to read ahead while fingering the keys, and controlling air flow all at the same time.

Yakety Sax – doesn’t have 32nd or 64th notes on the sheet, but its fast playing, i can’t play it at that speed, which leaves me to either slow the track down, or learn it by heart to play it fast.

Over here if you do sax grade exams, you have the option of playing from the sheet or playing from memory. I used to think you must be mad if you’re doing an oral exam and opt to play by memory instead of playing from a sheet, now i know why some students opt to play by memory – their not showing off, there using common sense.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.