Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Key of A vs key of F# minor

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    RockinRobin
    Participant

“I Want To Know What Love Is” has 3 sharps as Key of A has 3 sharps. On the sheet music I have with lyrics it’s called F# Minor and it has 3 sharps. Johnny, tell me about this
      William

john
      Keymaster

every key has a relative major/minor which has the same number of sharps/flats.
        a key signature that shows 3 sharps can be in either A major or F# minor.
        you’re confusing this song to be in the minor key of F# minor, it isn’t. It’s in A major. Tenor key is what I’m referring to.

RockinRobin
        Participant

Thanks Johnny for the info
          William

john
          Keymaster

a few ways to tell a minor key apart from a major is when you look at the score go directly to the last bar. more often than not it will end on the one. in this music it’s an A so there’s your first clue.

the other thing we can do is check for four chords and five chords throughout because every song will have these chords.

so in the key of A major we will see some D chords and some E chords.
            if the song was in F# minor we would see some C# chords and some D# chords

now with this information take a long look at the score and you’ll see what I mean.

RockinRobin
            Participant

Thanks again Johnny for the info, I now remember you going over that before. Good info to keep on hand
              William

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.