Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Ligature

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Dolph
    Participant

Johnny, I received your e-mail regarding the information about the importance of ligature you posted. I read and viewed all and decided to have a look at my own Otto Link mouthpiece with standard ligature. I noticed that your own ligature has 4 buttons that push down on the reed. To replicate the same effect on my OL ligature I bent the 4 corners down somewhat of the part that pushes down on the reed. Although I never had a problem with my sound, this small modification seems to have improved things. I took 2x photo's to illustrate. Unfortunately I am unable to attach them to this post for clarity.

john
      Keymaster

I'm glad it seems to have helped but that sounds a little weird doing that to a regular lig. It would be great if I could see it maybe send the pic to my regular email address if you can't put it up here, I'm curius to see what it looks like, try and make a real good close-up if you can!

john
        Keymaster

Your otto link ligature seems like a decent one and not like the really cheap ones I talked about in the video.

Yours has the seperate mechanism on the bottom that holds the reed and is inependent from the rest of the lig. The poor quality ones are just a thin metal band that go all the way around the reed so I put your in a different category.

The 4 points you saw on mine are actually cushions made out of a soft rubber like material. The fact that you modified your OT and it improved it surprises me but you're the only one who can really tell if it made a difference at all. Good on you for trying it.

Dolph
          Participant

Maybe it's just wishfull thinking or the power of the mind. Or perhaps that my reed placement has improved after viewing your video on it. Fact is that since the start of your course my enthousiasme has been re-kindled and even the wife has noticed it. Thanks for that.

George Shaw
            Participant

This is the lig I use the most it does give a better sound. It has the same idea the reed is free to vibrate. the name is http://www.saxxas.eu/ligature.html
              saxligg.jpg
              saxlig.jpg

john
              Keymaster

Yes, exactly right George. It looks like a copy of the one I have.. different make though. Thanks for that… looks like a good one and will make a note of the brand and keep it in mind when I need another one.

The little cushions that are the part that touch the reed are a rubber type of material and can be moved to different positions. I have replaced them but not the positions, just one in each of the 4 corners… boring but that's what works for me!

It really makes sense though when you look at the design and structure etc and then look at one of those cheap ones that's just a thin metal band wrapped around (and suffocating) the reed.

Nice to see some of you have these quality saxophone ligatures. My point about them is that if you have a really bad $3 one that came with your sax or mpc it isn't doing you any favours and a really good one can make a difference to your whole sound and playing experience… this is what I have found anyway.

king
                Participant

where can you find a ligature like that ???

Nathan Hermanus
                  Participant

Hi tell me a bit about the rovner , I ame looking for a mellow rounded sound, jazzy, is this the best bet?

john
                    Keymaster

Hi Nathan, which mouthpiece do you use?

Dolph
                      Participant

Hello All,
                        I recently bought the Saxxas ligature (as in the photo above) and it set me back about 100 Euros. However, I must say that it does the business. Superb quality and delivered with some spare parts. Thanks for the tip.
                        Cheers,
                        Dolph

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.