Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Live sample

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bill Mecca
    Participant

Not really recording at home, but from Saturday night’s Christmas party gig. Recorded on my phone, I was no miked, and put the android pointing away from band (since there is no real limiter) just a sample from a tune we just learned.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13269466

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hey Bill, you sound great 🙂 You’ve got the sax solo down really well too, very nice. What is your Sax/MP set up? Would love to see more videos of you here on Johnny’s site for Member’s Videos for sure. Hats off to you, thanks for sharing 🙂

Bill Mecca
        Participant

Michael, thanks. I play a 1961 vintage Buffet Superdynaction tenor, usually with a hard rubber Berg .110 but this room was very loud (that’s why no mike on me) and we were requested to play quietly. I used my custom Link STM (added baffle) with my usual Plasticover #3.

I have a couple videos up on youtube, but hope to do some more from “in the studio” Recently moved house so still working things out. Also have a couple more parties to play this month.

I’m close on the solo, I know one spot where it’s a repetition of a phrase and the second time through I play it the same as the first and there is supposed to be a difference. Just figured it out by ear for these parties. 😉 I’ll have to tweak it a bit.

thanks for listening.

wayne wojnarowski
          Participant

I agree with Michael you sound good to me Sir nice tone sounds kind of bright to my ear. What is your custom link STM (added baffle) ? Some thing to make your playing quiet??

Bill Mecca
            Participant

It’s a Link STM .110 that has an epoxy baffle added to give some more cut. refaced by a Friend in Australia, he also adjusted the facing curve a bit. I’ve mostly been playing a rubber Berg Larsen .110, which is louder. This room has some real issues, it looks great but it’s all hard surfaces and a lot of natural reverb.

Dazza
              Participant

Hi Bill. I haven’t been able to find many guys in Australia that do work on mouthpieces as I have a STM myself that I wanted to have someone look at to see if can be improved or perhaps tell me that it’s just that I am not suited to it. Your friend wouldn’t be Ross McIntyre in Rockhampton by chance. I have bought a couple of MP’s from him and as they were unplayable by me he graciously took them back.

Bill Mecca
                Participant

Not Ross McIntyre. Not sure if he is still doing mouthpiece work, but Richard Booth, he was in Sydney, not sure if he still is in Sydney. He plays with Galapagos Duck amongst others.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.