Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Looking for that Baritone Saxophone video…….

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Johnny,

About a year ago, you had shared a video of a Baritone Saxophone player on the David Letterman show who was playing with Richard Elliot, Richard was on Tenor Saxophone–we we’re talking about how funky/great the Baritone Saxophone is and you had mentioned in the video you shared that it was one of your favorite songs, would you happen to remember which song that was/who was playing it? How many times over your playing career have you gotten play the Baritone? That Saxophone looks to be a blast to play to say the least–I may look at getting on a couple of years from now….when my tone has developed to the point that getting a Baritone Sax can be “justified” LOL

john
      Keymaster

I don’t recall that one Michael. I don’t knbow who Richard Elliot is…maybe it was Tower of Power? Good bari there.
        I’ve hired several bari players for my band and I’ve also played bari on recording sessions when needed, although I’ve never owned one, always rented or borrowed. Next to tenor it’s the most useful/important for me because of what it adds to a section. even if it’s just a 2 piece sax section with tenor. you put a tenor and bari together playing the right notes with the right feeling/attitude and for blues and rock and roll it’s all you really need.
        but switching over to it from alto or tenor can be a process…it’s not the same as far as the air/embouchure etc. it requires some work. intonation, range etc.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Richard Elliot played the Tenor on Tower of Power, he’s got some pretty cool stuff. There’s no way I would even remotely think about getting/playing a Bari right now..that’s a “beyond” me at this point LOL but it would be cool to look at playing one say 5 years or so down the road…they look to be a very “funky” type of Saxophone and sound amazing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.