Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? low D on my selmar Buddy II

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Wayne Galtier
    Participant

Johnny,

I can’t figure this one out. The horn is in good regulation as far as I know. The problem is I can hit low C, B flat, C#,, basically all of the low notes after middle G. The D does not come out on demand. I have to drop my jaw a little to ease it out. I cannot softly hit the low D. I can on the other notes below low D. I am super frustrated because many of the backing tracks I would like to order eventually from you do have significant usage of the Low D, C, C# B flat etc. If it’s my ombreshure I am confused because I can hit the other low notes on demand. Any suggestions. I may need to take it to a shop if I can determine if it is not me causing the problem.

Wayne

Wayne Galtier
      Participant

Sorry folks!! misspelled. It is my Selmar Bundy II not buddy II
        and also I have tried different reeds, fresh reeds.

Wayne

Leo Salu
        Participant

I have a Old Selmar Bundy II that I had trouble playing the lower D with, used a light test and found the key was leaking air, put in a new pad and it got a lot better. I did upgrade it to a Yamaha yts 23 and that solved all the problems.

Wayne Galtier
          Participant

Thanks Leo!!
            I will check out the pads. I need to rig up a light for the job. I don’t have a sax test lamp. What pad exactly did you find leaking?
            I will regret for the remainder of my time left on earth for getting rid of my Selmar Super Action 80 That I used to have. I sold it long ago when I thought I was finished with music. Ended up buying this Selmar Bundy II about 15 years ago from a friend. I played in some bands again for a time and then put it in the closet for more years. I pulled it out about 1 yr. ago and started to play again. Other than the low D it is in pretty good shape. Very clean and the pads still look OK but I will check them out.

Appreciate your input. Keep up the good recordings!!
            I justs ordered 2 Christmas tracks from Johnny. Trying to get some Christmas songs recorded in time for the Holidays. I should be finished with them in about a week or two. Already have them loaded in my Audacity DAW. Making some sound adjustments on them. Will be ready for the sax by this weekend.

Wayne

Leo Salu
            Participant

Hi Wayne, The pad that was leaking was the 3rd (#6) one down using your right hand as you know they go f/ e/ D , note the pads all looked ok but the light bar showed a leak, i made my light bar out of a under the shelve light slim style works great i check my saxes with it once in a while. I switching to the Christmas songs this week i have about 15 songs i got from Johnnys excellent collection. Leo

Wayne Galtier
              Participant

Leo,

Since you own a Bundy II can you tell me if your bell aims outward somewhat away from your leg, for example if you were standing and the sax was on your side as in a marching band. My bell is not concentric with the tube but everything I see indicates that it did not bend that way. The low pads on the bell are perfectly aligned with the holes and the pads on the bell close very well. Also the post that are on the tube seem to be configured for that angle. I saw something on a forum recently that said Bundy built a model specifically for marching band users. They say it is beefed up more heavily for school users in marching bands. I don’t know if that is an accurate statement or not. I am just curious. Do you know anything about that. I will try to send a picture to you.

Wayne

Leo Salu
                Participant

Hello Wayne I will check that out but i seem to remember the bell does aim outward. Stay tuned

Leo Salu
                  Participant

Hello Wayne, sorry for the delay, yes on my Selmer Bundy 2, the bell does aim off to the side away from the body if you were standing guess it was developed for marching bands.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.