Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds M Hemp Fiberreed vs. MS Onyx Fiberrreed?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Keith Taylor
    Participant

So, I just received my new Onyx MS Fibberreed from Johnny on Saturday, and have practiced only with it for the past four days, with the exception of putting my Hemp one on for comparison.

Overall, I’m excited about the new Onyx one because the Hemp one always felt a little too stiff for me, thus being why I ordered the Onxy in MS. What I immediately realized though is that the MS Onyx felt much too soft for me. I’ve kept playing it to see if I’d adapt, and have somewhat, but, I still am having issues with wanting to put more air through the horn to emphasize notes, and it closes it up me. Additionally the notes don’t sound as full to me – or a bit thin – and out of tune more.

So, I switched to the “M” hemp and there is a HUGE amount of difference between it and the Onyx. The hemp requires much more air to play but, its sound is more full. So basically, I’m feeling like the balck Onyx is soooooo close, but is just too soft.

So, my question for you all, and Johnny too since he likely has several different ones to play, is:

Is the difference from MS Onyx to a M Onyx as drastic as it is from the MS Onyx to the M Hemp?

I ask because I feel like I need to go ahead and buy a M Onyx now, but wonder if I may have gotten an unsually stiff M Hemp or unusually soft MS Onyx?

I hate to order another one and it just not get played. But, I do like the genreral feel of the Onyx, I just wish I didnt’ feel like I have to baby it as I do now in regards to my air flow.

I’m not certain if Johnny can even accept a return on it if I order a M Onyx now, but since it wa almost 8 bucks for shiping, I assume it’d be the same for me to ship it back, so it seems kinf of pointless to pay a total of $16 total for shipping on a $20 reed. May as well eat the $28 dollar loss.

I hope that the M Onyx is worth ordering to try as well, but thought I should ask here first before I do order it. It will essentially be a $56 reed at that point if it is. Makes me wonder if I should just spend that money on a fresh new box of Hemke or ZZ Jazz Vandoren’s – which are currently my favorite.

The appeal of having a synthtic reed that plays really well – consistently – even though I still like the sound of cane better still – is a big draw since here in the southeastern United States, the humididty can really effect how cane reeds play from one day to the next.

Please share your thoughts.

Keith Taylor
      Participant

…and please excuse the multiple spelling and type-o’s in that. I should have proofed it before I posted it, and now can’t figure out how to edit or delete it to repost.

john
        Keymaster

couple things Keith…
          for me it’s the opposite; I find the hemp plays easier and sounds thinner than the onyx.
          for me any MS is too soft and any MH is too hard….I’m a true medium guy and nothing else seems to do.
          so, I can’t tell you if there’s a drastic difference between the 2 you asked about. we are all quite different!

they are sand-able so if one seems a bit too hard try working on it a bit. Fiberreed has some good tips on that on their site.
          but really, all these things about reeds hits all of us at some point, that’s why they’re a royal pain in the butt!

I too love vandorens and when I get a really good one in a box of 5, it costs me about $25 and lasts a few weeks so
          I’m really happy with my Onyx right now. I’m still blowing the prototype from last January and it’s still good.

as for sending it back…no can do because Fiberreed doesn’t take them back from me. I bought a Legere once, hated it, never played it again and it sits in my studio. It was a $20 lesson.
          I understand all your concerns here Keith. there’s things to consider and chances to take but in the long run, you try a few reeds, spend a 100 bucks and discover one that will last you for a year or more, and you now have a reed you can count on for years to come.
          I’ve dropped that much with one trip to the music store for a few boxes of cane reeds that didn’t last me a year.

sounds like you’re feeling pretty good about em… it took me a while too. I struggled a bit with the altissimo on the onyx but now
          it’s the same as I felt on the cane reeds. may take a few weeks not hours.

brother cavefish
          Participant

i might buy the MS onyx, what size tip MP are you using, as far as other reeds, VD green java are great

Anonymous

Is it wrong to assume that the softer reeds will allow one to play more comfortably at a lower volume?

I can’t play as loud at home as I can in a large building, as the sound pressure level hurts my ears too much.
              Those softer reeds may come in handy for times when you want to play more softly at home.

I’ve read that playing with a softer reed gives a more expressive tone (esp. for subtone), and is another skill we have to develop.

Anonymous

I had a similar problem early this year.

I’ve been used to playing on La Voz (med/hard) reeds and then i wanted to try out the vandoren V21 reeds, so i bought a V21 (size 2&1/2) thinking it
                would be the equivalent size to the La Voz (med/hard).

I had to go back to the shop and buy a V21 (size 3) which was more like the same strength of the La Voz (med/hard).

Same old story, for different types of reeds, you have to try out various sizes to get the proper equivalent. I don’t shave hard reeds, as i end up destroying the shelf life of the reed – so i just bin them, no point in keeping a mouldy old reed that im never going to play.

You should be able to play soft on any reed, going down a reed size will only muck about with your embouchure strength and restrict your playing even more. The only time to go down a reed size is when you go up a mouthpiece size or your embouchure is shot from not having played for several weeks.

Pete
                Participant

Keith
                  Like Johnny said, you can sand the onyx down easily I bought a MH onyx
                  and it playable but felt it was a little to hard, just shaved it a little
                  and it is perfect now, so glad I bought a onyx after watching Johnny on is
                  demo about reeds.

brother cavefish
                  Participant

i think , as far as reeds go just get the reed that works for your mp, and then play softly .
                    i would not rely on certain reeds to use to play softly, and certain reeds to use to play loud——–for me i have a few MPs, some work better with V16s, other work well with Java greens, but it could just be the strength needed, , but no matter what i use the one i can play loud and soft , never switch reeds when I want to play softly , i just play softly——— i use softer reeds anyway, i am not a screamer , if i want a louder more projective sound, i have different MPs for that, , but my reeds are pretty consistent ,

Mel
                    Participant

Started playing the V16 2.5 on my Jody Jazz Hard Rubber. Really liked them a lot! Able to play soft or loud and the high notes come easier and more in tune. I picked up a Vandoren V16 T6
                      Mouthpiece and have been playing the V16 reeds on it with the Vandoren Optimum ligature and I really like this set up. The more I play it the more I like it. It is now my go to set up 🙂

jake
                      Participant

I did the same thing Keith. I got the M hemp reed and find it too stiff for me. I play fibracell 3 reeds on my tenor. I ordered the onxy to try out in a MS. I hope its not too much softer. I haven’t received it yet but when I do I can let you know if I have the same results you did.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 53 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.