Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds M Hemp Fiberreed vs. MS Onyx Fiberrreed?

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Pete
    Participant

BC
      I have got the Onyx medium hard and it plays and sounds rich and warm, I also
      have the hemp MH and that is pretty good. I always said I wouldn’t use a fibber reed
      but now I have the Onyx MD I am really happy with it, no buzz whatsoever.

john
      Keymaster

I like a little buzz from the reed and mouthpiece, that edgy buzz

Pete
        Participant

Hi William
          Now I cant stand a “buzz from a sax, but each to their own preference.

brother cavefish
          Participant

me i can hear wood and plastic

john
            Keymaster

This week I tried some cane reeds, Red Java and green Java, and others. All week I blew cane reeds and I conclude, for me, cane reeds are for the most part no good. For me the soft to medium soft carbon onyx reeds are the best. Best tone, ease of blowing; they are the most responsive. And most economical. I was using my MBII fat boy and my theo wanne slant sig 2. I was blowing “You don’t bring me flowers” and “El Condor Pasa”.

brother cavefish
              Participant

well i think cane is a more warn sound, — i have a soft onyx and sand the tip down an it worked pretty decent, i think one needs to fine tune their reeds

brother cavefish
                Participant

well i think cane is a more warn sound, — i have a soft onyx and sanded the tip down and it worked pretty decent, i think one needs to fine tune their reeds

john
                  Keymaster

Do I soak a black bamboo reed

Pete
                    Participant

Its cane then you can soak it, surely William, I have not come across a black bamboo reed.

Keith Taylor
                      Participant

William, if you have a black cane reed, it sounds like it would be a Rico PlasticCover. I’ve not used them in years – since the 90’s – but they were popular in marching band due to them playing louder, lasting longer, and not being as effected by the weather.

If they’re still the same, the back half of them is a regular cane reed color. But the vibrating part is all black due to the plastic covering.

Due to that covering, it didn’t make any deference when you soaked them. They’re kind of a hybrid of a can and synthetic reed.

Hope that helps or answers your question.

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 53 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.