Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Michael Buble's "Sway" Alto Saxophone Cover/backing track

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

Hey Mike, speaking of Theo Wanne mp, I have been on the fence for awhile now as well. I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Theo metal Shiva 8 mp. I can’t wait to have a blow at that one. It’s is a bright piece and suits up well with Rock & Roll. I’m hoping it is all that the description states that it is. I did order it from WWBW.com so due to the cost, it has a 30 day return policy. That should be enough time to tell if it is worth the cost. I have a selection of reeds to try out as well. I am still getting the best response out of the Rigotti Gold reeds I am using. I really like them better than the Javas I have (red & green). They seem more consistent to me, really haven’t had many bad ones that I could tell.
      I have a HR Claude Lakey mp for my alto, yea that lig is pretty useless, def doesn’t hold the reed in place. I too am using a crap metal standard one as well and need to upgrade it sometime. I really don’t play the alto much tho, so haven’t made it a priority.

Anonymous

@Jake – on a different topic – i keep searching for info on buzzing, the only thing i could find was that someone mentioned it was a reed/mouthpiece combination, and embouchure wise – loosen the lower lip.

i did come accross an article comparing the differences between jazz & classical embouchures and how to get that jazzy sound.

What was interesting was they mentioned one way of getting rid of squeeking – it goes back to Johnny’s daily practice routine exercise 1.

Just get the mouthpiece out and practice playing every note in the scale, with the same embouchure position, for the low notes you need more air less lip pressure, for the high notes you need less air more lip pressure. The secret is to regulate the air flow by raising and lowering the tip of the tongue. If you then remember the positions for each of the notes, you can then go to the sax and use those different positions to sound differently on the sax.
        So for example to get that old jazz sound you would use the embouchure position of the low note mouthpiece position.

i’ll try and dig out another article on buzzing exercises for the sax, not sure if i read it correctly

jake
        Participant

Thanks for the tips JB. I have read that as well. I am experimenting with getting more mp into my mouth as Johnny pointed out in my last video. I am taking most of it in now and in my mind I am hearing more buzz for sure. I think this relates to having more of the reed vibrating. This also can be achieved by loosening the lower lip as you stated too. I’m hoping the new Theo mp I have coming will help along this line as well. I saw another members video and they were using a metal Theo mp and had more of that buzz I am aiming for.

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Right on Jake about ordering a Theo Wanne–I don’t have the Shiva…it’s the Durga that I have for Alto and it is just awesome on Alto Sax. That’s a good policy that WWBW has for 30 days, it takes some time getting used to a new MP. The Shiva is, if I’m not mistaken, is designed for Rock/Blues, etc. and they said for players who are used to Guardalas, Berg Larsen, and so on then this is the MP for you. At least for the Durga, it’s incredibly free blowing. Let me know how you get on the with Shiva Jake, I would REALLY like to get a Theo Wanne for the Tenor too sometime later this year. I can’t even begin to imagine what kind of a sound/projection I would get on my Trevor James Tenor with a Theo Wanne…WOW. And I say that because of personally using it on the Trevor James Alto…uploads coming with it soon.

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.