Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Minor Scale Intervals

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi Johnny,
      after having spent a couple of weeks learning to recognise the 8 major scale interval patterns
      on the master staff (sight reading), and the 8 major scale interval patterns to recognise
      where they are on the sax (& keyboard) in relation to any starting key, to improve technique.

I’m now just starting learning the same stuff for the minor scale intervals (m2,m3,aug4,dim5,m6,m7).

from that i can start building up chords a lot quicker with the interval techniques,
      rather than learning the chords without the interval knowledge.
      is this the sort of stuff jazz players get into quite heavily?

john
      Keymaster

Sorry JB not fully understanding your question enough to answer.

Anonymous

Hi Johnny,
          I can’t see the Post/comments before your above comment,
          In fact it seems to be occurring all over the forum?
          It might be because you are still in the process of updating the Forum?
          cheers
          sxpoet

john
          Keymaster

yes, well I have added a few new categories and then moved some old posts there and I can see them but maybe they are not showing for everyone else?

Dazza
            Participant

Hey Johnny. Loving the upgrades but getting used to the new forum style as well. Will the “recent posts since last log on” be returning. That was a time saving feature I liked.

Z
              Participant

Yeah Johnny I’ve noticed that but it didn’t really bug me, I just thought I’d mention it now. I can’t see the original author’s first post on any forum, but I can see all the comments after that.

john
                Keymaster

Ok guys, yes, still sorting some of this stuff out. I looks like it will be slow coming as I get to figure it out myself.

Anonymous

Hi Johnny – i can see my original post now,
                    so my question to put it another way was basicaly is the
                    practice of playing the various intervals in all the major/minor scales
                    something that Jazz players are more heavly into?
                    For example if you practise playing all the major 3rd intervals for each root note, and then you practice playing all the perfect 5th intervals for each root note – then it follows if you put them together you can play a major chord for a root note if you know what scale you are in.
                    So these jazz guys, can quickly put together the major/minor/diminished/augmented/7th chords if they want without having memorise each note in any of the 5 chord types

Z
                    Participant

Well yeah if you understand how the theory works of the chord changes/specific song you can comp to anything especially if you’re experienced. I don’t even play piano (as in read music) but I can comp really well because I know my theory and know all those intervals and what different notes I can play to make it sound cool. It’s a long process and takes practice but one day it just all clicks into place and you’ll be able to make some really nice sounds/chords on the piano without even thinking about it. It’s definitely worth the time and practice though. Helps with sax improvising too cause you’ll know what the chord changes are and how to wrap your soloing ideas around all the different chords to make a neat melody and solo.

Anonymous

i played guitar on and off for relaxation only for 40 years before picking up the sax.

Everyone will tell you if you know the 3 main chords for any scale then you can improvise & play along to any song. Which is true, but is very boring, so to spice it up you need inprovise & throw in extra chords.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.