Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Moonlight Sonata for Sax

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Here is my version for sax – I daren’t record this yet because I make far too may mistakes, so I got the PC to play it.

Please let me know what you think.

Moonlight midi file

Anonymous

If you would like to try this tune for yourself.

Bb version

Eb version

The Bb version is a little more difficult because it goes up to the A above top F.

Johnny, I’d love to hear you play this tune on Tenor!

Kevin
        Participant

Jeff, the sheet transcription and the midi file represent playing the arpeggios and then what would be the melody line plugged in as just 1/8th note duration albeit at the timing of the original melody (which as originally transcribed would normally be commonly 1/2 note duration), but it makes for a melody line that can’t flow with legato connected notes.
          Curious for you not wanting an arrangement played like in this conventional way- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hijnx6oDmo
          with backing arpeggio’s and an instrumental melody line played as originally written?
          Maybe I’m missing your intent…

Anonymous

i can’t play midi files at the moment – need to buy an in-ap purchase for my ap from the i-tunes store.
            like to try out the sheet music – but it’ll have to wait a week – decorating our bedroom, which took me a whole day to empty.
            thanks for sharing

Anonymous

Hi Kevin and Sxpoet. I wanted to convert this popular tune into an alto solo track in the normal playing range, so I could attempt this on my own. I tried to retain the smooth rhythm of the melody and combine the lead tune. I first tried to retain the length of the lead notes but it seemed to upset the flow of the music. So I changed it to maintain even timing and place the lead notes over the melody notes when they appeared. I emphasize these notes to make them stand out from the melody. I play it both ways, staccato and legato at this stage to see which way works the best. I find this to be a good technical exercise which improves my playing speed for blowing and fingering. There was a lot of spitting and panting in my earlier efforts – LOL.

Anonymous

Hi Sxpoet, I just copied the midi file onto my cellphone and it plays okay on there. The oboe sounds like a church organ on the cellphone.

Anonymous

i need to buy the plug-in its only a couple of £’s

Anonymous

Sxpoet – how about a nice fresh MP3 version?

Moonlight MP3

And it’s a full moon tonight – just in time!!!

What about your new audio processing software that should be able to play midi files?

Anonymous

thanks for doing the mp3 version – i put all my tracks on my i-touch, then i plug my i-touch into a pair of 3″ amplified stereo speakers and play the tracks through the speakers and sax along to the tracks, i would like to get a blue tooth portable mono speaker like street players use and play along to that instead – there quite cheap to buy, but the sound quality isn’t brilliant.

i can’t use my laptop until i buy some yamaha monitors, audio interface and some head phones – then if buy a microphone that attaches to the bell then i can have a go at recording using logic pro x.

The mp3 tracks sounds fine, i see what you mean about the tempo, i could slow that down on my i-touch to keep up. thanks for sharing

Anonymous

Sxpoet, you are welcome. I’ve spent so many hours on this piece of music and it only took a few minutes to find a free conversion site for the midi file.
                        The key is to sound each note quickly and cleanly, practicing this tune is doing wonders for my skill level.

That Logic Pro-X software looks very creative. You could sample a hammer striking an anvil or hit a glass with a pencil, and use that single waveform to produce a whole tune just by copying the note and moving the pitch of each one up or down. Now you are moving into the ‘Jean Michel Jarre’ type of creative expression field.

This explains why people prefer videos because who knows how one has tinkered with a recording these days!
                        Yet when the timing is too perfect it sounds unnatural too.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.