Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces mouthpiece opening comparison

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patrick Reolon
    Participant

If you ever wanted to switch mouthpiece from Vandoren Java to Ottolink, or Dukoff or Selmer, etc.
      and wondered: which opening is the same you actually use:

this chart from vandoren may be very very useful:

http://www.vandoren-fr.com/file/146157/

Some months ago I switched from a Vandoren Java T45 to an Ottolink 8*, quite a mayor upgrade as I found out.
      My Java Green Reeds helped me to no tbe completely lost, but neveretheless a quite big change as I notices with time:
      The metal mouthpieces make the reeds lastless time and a not optimal reed quickly sounds bad and produces squeeking noises. additionally the lung-capacity and muscles needed for such a wider opening (and material change from rubber to metal) were a challenge.

Hope you may use it…

Patrick Reolon
      Participant

I replicate the content of the original entry again:

If you ever wanted to switch mouthpiece from Vandoren Java to Ottolink, or Dukoff or Selmer, etc.
        and wondered: which opening is the same you actually use:

this chart from vandoren may be very very useful:

http://www.vandoren-fr.com/file/146157/

Some months ago I switched from a Vandoren Java T45 to an Ottolink 8*, quite a mayor upgrade as I found out.
        My Java Green Reeds helped me to no tbe completely lost, but neveretheless a quite big change as I notices with time:
        The metal mouthpieces make the reeds lastless time and a not optimal reed quickly sounds bad and produces squeeking noises. additionally the lung-capacity and muscles needed for such a wider opening (and material change from rubber to metal) were a challenge.

Hope you may use it…

Frank Basamania
        Participant
          Dazza
          Participant

Hey Patrick, I recently spent $150 on an Otto Link STM 6* that I saw on Gumtree and bought on impulse thinking is would be a great option to enter the metal MP field. I get nothing but loud squeaks on most notes with every reed I try. Ones that work beautifully on my Yamaha 5C (tenor). Any clue as to why? It is harder to blow and was going to sell it but will hold onto it for now hoping it will come good when my chops are stronger. Been playing 15 months constantly so can’t see why it is such a challenge. Anyway, the previous owner played it professionally for many years and sears by it so I am hopeful of being able to master it soon. Any ideas?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.