Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions My Saxophone playing days are over…….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi Everyone,
      Just a quick update that I have been diagnosed with TMJ disorder (Temporomadibular Joint Disorder), and so I will be calling it quits with the Saxophone. There are different types/classifications of TMJ, my TMJ has to do with the Masseter Muscle/dislocated cartilage at the jaw. I have applied myself to every form of therapy/medication prescribed to me, all to no avail. There were days my Masseter muscle felt better, other days no. It has been 2 months since I pulled this muscle/dislocated cartilage at the jaw and it is not going to improve. TMJ has ruined the careers of some players, and unfortunately I am now of the victims of this disorder. To say that this is a blow to me is an understatement. I’m not sure what I’m going to do right now, I need some time but I’m leaning towards returning to the world of fly fishing.
      I have 3 Saxophones for sale, along with new recording equipment, Green Screen, etc.. If anyone is interested in any of these feel free to contact me.

Anonymous

@Michael – That’s awful man!
        Would you be able to play the electronic Sax instead?

I lost my brother-in-law in Jsnuary to brain tumors, and only a few months before he was celebrating the news that he was cancer free – compare yourself to my brother-in-law and it makes you realise how precious life is.

I wouldn’t give up music entirely,
        theres the guitar & piano which are just as rewarding.

Pete
        Participant

Hi Michael
          So sorry to hear about your problem, you put a lot
          of work into learning the sax and were very enthusiastic
          don’t waste all you know about music theory, put it into
          some other instrument. Mike when I read some of your blogs
          you know a fair bit of stuff theory wise I wish I did so
          don’t let it go to waste and get onto a new tool?
          Never done fishing myself, but my son is a fanatic for it
          so get your rod out and get fishing, nice and relaxing for you.
          The sax isn’t the end of the world if we stop playing.

All the best.

Jazz Cat
          Participant

that’s too bad if you have to stop; here’s a related thread

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?180730-TMJ-help&highlight=Temporomadibular

William Cingolani
            Participant

Hi Michael. Sorry to hear the news. You’ve put a lot of time in music. How about going with another instrument. Rock and Roll Blues electric fender guitar. You’ve got the music theory. Grab a teacher and keep rocking. Keep in touch.
              William

Marc
              Participant

Sad news… sorry to hear that.
                As other fellow member said… you may leave the saxophone go, but don’t leave the music. Another instrument will surely give you pleasant time in the future.
                You can go fishing on weekends and sit in front of a piano 2 or 3 days a week. Even on rainy days heheh…

Hope your medical treatment succeed.

Jazz Cat
                Participant

guitar & Keys are fun

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

thanks for the kind words guys, but right now I don’t have any more motivation to want to continue with music. I’m crushed about what has happened and don’t find music to be fun anymore, with time that may change; we’ll see. I don’t have any interest in starting completely over with another instrument, not after all of the time and hard work I put into the Saxophone. I used to be a pro fly fishing guide, I have wrote for national magazines, done t.v. filming, traveled and conducted large seminars, etc.. and it’s be no means new to me. What Johnny is in the world of Saxophone is what I was in the world of angling/fly fishing, and I’m not exaggerating when I say that. I’ve made 1-2 comments about it over the last few years here, but have never told anyone exactly what I did. Right now I need some time to sort things out and I’ll go from there.

Pete
                    Participant

Good luck and good health Mike keep in touch.

Anonymous

@Michael – that’s something positive, at least you’ve got the fly fishing to fall back onto.
                        You must be sorely missed in the fly fishing world?

good luck mate!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.