Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? New Saxophone Squeak

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Everyone is making fantastic points here, and that’s the beautiful thing about the Saxophone: no matter which Sax we play, or which Saxophone(s) we play it’s all great. That’s a cool analogy that Johnny made about it being like food, I wish I had thought about that example a few weeks ago when I went with my nephews to the music shop for some guitar strings they needed and the guy over the counter said I was wasting my $ by getting a Pro Model Alto instead of a Tenor (at the time my wife didn’t tell me she had a Tenor in the works–but my mind was, and still is, set on a Trevor James Alto). When I asked him why he felt that way, I remember him saying that all the best Sax players in the world are Tenor players! I just remember laughing and tellling him that, with all due respect, I’m the one spending over $3,000 on it and I love the Alto and asked him if there was anything wrong with it?

How ironic that Johnny mentions about how he used to bring a Soprano with him to his Tenor gigs…I have a Soprano in the works for this coming year 🙂 I was going to do a video to play the Piano lines of the theme song with “St, Elmo’s Fire” with a Soprano and then do the Tenor Sax solo lines too–I think I even talked to Jake about it a few months ago that I have it in the works. I have the sheet music for Bb Saxophones and the Piano lines are very easy……..How awesome would it be Johnny, to see you do an upload with the Soprano!!!!! There’s some ultra-great songs King Curtis did with Soprano Sax 🙂

john
      Keymaster

Sounds like a cool idea Michael.
        Regarding the soprano, I sold it years ago…I guess Kenny G just ruined it for me!

Michael Bishop
        Participant

LOL That hilarious about Kenny G 🙂 Everyone that talk about him immediately thinks of the Soprano. I had a friend back home ask me about it and described it as that “flute” that he plays. I’ve actually learned the Sax solo lines for “St.Elmo’s Fire” with the Alto and it’s very easy to play. I wanted to do a video this year to the blog that has just Sax solos only in it. There’s a few solos I’ve learned plus the ones I’m going to learn when I get back home…in 18 days! 🙂 One of those solos I’m going to learn is “The Logical Song” by Supertramp–a super solo for the Alto! There’s a few others I’m going to learn and I should have this video on Sax solos only ready by the time I get my new Saxophones now in Feb-March at the absolute latest…….SO EXCITED! 🙂 It would be cool, if worth your time financially, to make available to buy a series of lessons that break down Saxophone solos that maybe you know how to play and others could learn.

john
          Keymaster

The logical song solo was one I included in the blog post about a bunch of famous sax solos all having one thing in common:
            https://howtoplaysaxophone.org/what-do-these-5-songs-have-in-common
            Regarding the solo lessons… I started working on a very good one I think. I mentioned it a while ago while talking about doing such lessons cause next to the Daily Practice Routines, improving on how to solo was next on the priority list according to what people said in the survey.
            I will explain more about it later but I am kinda busy with some gigs over the next 6 weeks or so. I always try and do what I can when I’m home but for these lesson videos I find I need a lot of time and good focused concentration so it may be a while before I get this one done.
            To be honest tho, I’m very exited about it because it will be teaching how to improvise with just one major scale and the tune being used as the play-along is What Does It Take. I will share some theory and tricks I use to play a great solo centered around one major scale. I think it will help those who are really interested in learning how to improvise without knowing much more than a major scale. Anyone that’s on this track / mindset just work out with my free lessons in the Improvisation lesson section or / and Killer Blues cause when this comes out it will open up your eyes (and ears) to some cool possibilities.

jake
            Participant

Love the idea Johnny!
              Hey Michael I was asked to learn a solo from “Give a little bit” by supertramp over the summer, I had less than a week to pull it off. Came out ok for me I guess. Had to play it live. LOL. This solo is also a alto sax, sounds pretty cool. In the video it starts at 1:40. I remember you asking about St. Elmos Fire, it would be cool to work on another project again!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_7_BrR3Bc

Viewing 5 posts - 21 through 25 (of 25 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.