Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Introduce Yourself Newly Retired – returning to saxophone

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Frank Scott
    Participant

Hello from New Mexico. Starting out with a little Vito alto sax and slowly getting into the practice ritual and all of the nuances of getting a good sound. May have to buy Johnny’s Beginning Saxophone e- book. I do not want to learn bad habits and then have to go back to correct those issues latter. After viewing a video on you-tube I found out my embouchure was the old style where you curl your lip over your bottom teeth which restricts air flow . I also had seen that Johnny also discourages this and am now correcting this issue. I think his beginning sax book may help me keep that narrow focus I need to get a good sound and develope good technique. Just want to enjoy playing the saxophone. Have a great day. I am open to advice.

john
      Keymaster

no don’t do that lip curling thing! I have a video on how to place your bottom lip, look in the free lessons under “Tone” I think

Frank Scott
        Participant

I am trying what you showed about placement of the bottom lip and wow there is quiet a bit more air using this method. I practiced this until my embouchure got tired and the muscles needed a break. I think this is good to find out early on. That is why I am considering your beginner course and the go to the daily practice routine course you offer. I do not want to develop any bad habits.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.