Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions No Such Thing As a Studpid Question!?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cathy Kline
    Participant

I have just a few, hopefully not, stupid questions!
      What is the most likely cause of a squeaky note?
      About how long should a reed last(Alto Sax Rico #2)?
      And finally, should I be able to (eventually) play the C Major scale (up or down) in one (big) breath?
      I just absolutely love your website.
      Playing the saxophone is one (the only) thing on my bucket list. I've had my saxophone for a little over a year now (it was probably out of its case for a week); I have really struggled unsuccessfully to find someone to give me lessons. Your videos are helpful, encouraging, and fun! Thank you.

Cathy Kline
      Participant

I have just a few, hopefully not, stupid questions!
        What is the most likely cause of a squeaky note?
        About how long should a reed last(Alto Sax Rico #2)?
        And finally, should I be able to (eventually) play the C Major scale (up or down) in one (big) breath?
        I just absolutely love your website.
        Playing the saxophone is one (the only) thing on my bucket list. I've had my saxophone for a little over a year now (it was probably out of its case for a week); I have really struggled unsuccessfully to find someone to give me lessons. Your videos are helpful, encouraging, and fun! Thank you.

john
        Keymaster

Hi Cathy, squeeky notes are generally made from the reed being too dry or just having a poor cut to it.

The length of time a reed can last will depend on the quality of the reed. Cheaper ones like Rico won't last very long but the good thing is they can come out of the box and play well right away. You'll feel it when it starts to give out on you.

As for playing a scale in one breath, yes, of course you will be able to play it several times when you get the speed up. But practice slow and steady until it goes smooth. The metronome lesson goes over this technique.

Good luck!
          Johnny

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.