Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Old J.W York Saxophone or Trevor James Saxophone?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    George Wharmby
    Participant

Hello everyone, I’m currently renting an old JW York and sons tenor saxophone serial number 59607 that has had a complete refurb to see if I can get along with it. I’m completely new to Tenor saxophone so I wouldn’t say I make the nicest noise with it yet!

As it is the same price as a new Trevor James Class II saxophone I wondered if you guys had any options on the quality of both brands.

I don’t live near a music shop with any tenor saxophones in and £899 is a lot of dough to shell out, just wondered if anyone knew if the J.W York was worth the cash or I should go with a beginners saxophone. I can’t find much information on the J.W York.

There was some confusion in the shop to whether it was a Conn stencil or a J.W own made.

Any opinion/help would be great. I’ve already bought the selmer mouthpiece…just need to make sure I love the sax now.

john
      Keymaster

hey George, I do remember the York from years ago but I did not play on one.
        Since York is not a “premier” saxophone maker (I beleive they had their saxes made by Buescher) I would think that a Trevor James would be a better playing horn and so would try one before settling on the York since you are looking at the same price.

George Wharmby
        Participant

Cheers Jonny, I’ve only been playing a few days (However I had a few lessons on the Alto as a Child) and at the moment I can’t get it to intonate, I can happily get an A at A440 but everything is all over the place, super sharp and super flat..It is probably partially due to my playing style, but I wouldn’t know until I try another sax. But I think I’m going to get into my car and visit a saxophone shop somewhere over the weekend.

The York does look bad ass though in tarnished silver lol.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.