Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Only the Lonely Sheet Music

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    anthony russo
    Participant

What are those symbols in the piece above certain notes and how do you play them? It’s a wavy line and a straight line down the middle. I have never seen them before. Thanks

sxpoet
      Participant
        sxpoet
        Participant

lower mordent?

RockinRobin
          Participant

Thanks sxpoet

RockinRobin
            Participant

We or just me could use a tutorial for”Only The Lonely. The sheet music and the backing track are different with the begining few notes
              William

Leo Salu
              Participant

William, I played the song today, the beginning of the sax part is about 23 clicks in, but i did try playing along with the band from the first bar but
                then i stayed with Johnny’s take which is to let the band play the first two lines of the sheet and further in he stops and starts again at about 132 clicks in (i watch
                the timer at the bottom of the video. ) Only one really high note “F” towards the end I liked the song. Might record it.

Wayne Galtier
                Participant

Johnny has done yet another brilliant interpretation for sax of a great song! I am still in awe for his ability to interpret a vocal song in translation to an instrumental saxophone.
                  Leo,,,,I am pushing thru “honky tonk” and I think I will be able to start a first cut in about a week. I wish I could practice every day but “caretaker” responsibilities for my wife come first. I probably have spent about 6 hrs. on it so far. An hour or 2 here and there. Having played some of those phrases in bands in the past as adlib, I never sat down and worked out Bill Doggett’s original. Johnny’s sheet music put the perspective on finally seeing the entire tune. It’s really not going to be that hard to record. Of course knowing me,,,I will go thru 6 or 7 cuts before I am satisfied and have a clean cut. I do not make a cut and then attempt to edit portions of that cut. My approach has to be a complete cut. I do that because if I ever need to play the song for a party or band gig I need to know the song by memory.

Keep up your work. You are doing great!

Wayne

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.