Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Otto Link MPs contrasted against Dave Guardala MPs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

I was looking on the home page in the “articles” section where I found the list of different MPs-which Amazon carries them all-and so was wondering if someone was looking for that raw, “edgy” sound that gives a Saxophone that sound that just really hits home, would Dave Guardala MP be the way to go instead of the Otto Link? What difference in sound will these 2 MPs produce–I know you can’t substitute a good MP for poor technique at all. But it’s about that time for me to start looking into going to a wider MP. I know Johnny that you use a Dave Guardala MP and you just sound so, so good! What about Otto Links? Thanks.

SaxoKlaus
      Participant

I tried several MP’s which were available in my favorite Sax shop and finally landed at Otto Link 6 .
        But honestly I’m still not satisfied. Still looking for a more ‘nasty’ Sax sound.
        I’ ve never tried a Guardala but it seems that should be the one. Unfortunatly they are not available at my Sax supplier and the price is somewhat quit high what I’ ve seen on Amazon.

john
        Keymaster

Yes Klaus, that’s exactly what happened to me too. The links are a good step up from many other types of mp’s but for that type of sound they come up short. I know the Guardala’s are not the cheapest ones but there are many on the market now that are much more. I’ve tried some of Theo Wanne’s mp’s which are really good as well but they are more than double the price of Guardala’s so with that in mind, start saving up your money!

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Hey Johnny,

At what point could in our playing could we start thinking about getting the Dave Guardala Mouthpieces? I actually thought the price of the Dave Guardala MPs on Amazon was pretty reasonable–I’ll make sure I go through your links here now that I know it would benefit your site–I know you mentioned during our lesson about going from alto to tenor that there isn’t really a specific time frame, as it’s a matter of a person deciding that the Tenor is the Sax he wants to learn to play (I have no plans on stopping to play the Alto, it’s AWESOME to see in Killer Blues ebook you demonstrating everything on both saxophones, peope may not always think of the Alto when it comes to playing Killer Blues type of music). At this point in my playing I know I should stick with the hard rubber mouthpieces as you have told me before—The great thing is that lots of songs you have here in your music selection/blues Improvisation sound great with a hard rubber MP too. But at the same time, I can’t imagine playing Honky Tonk or your version for Peter Gunn tv show when I tackle those songs in time on a hard rubber Mouthpiece.

john
            Keymaster

I think I may have played for a couple years but everyones different. If you have an itch you might as well scratch it! The thing is once you have multiple mp’s you have the luvury of going back and forth and so you can tell what the benefits are for each one. This is much more valuable than what anyone will tell you.

Michael Bishop
              Participant

I had planned on buying a Michael Brecker Guardala in the spring, along with the Meyer MP for my Alto/getting it 100% serviced, and had the goal of sometime before the end of 2014 to be playing with it regularly. Even though I may not be ready to use the Guardala in the spring when I get it, I will have it when I am ready for it. I sent some of your youtube links to some friends/family back in New Mexico and they all said the same thing about th the sound of your horn….it’s piercing and addicting.
                That old saying of not having the $ when we need something is so true (which is why I’m buying the Guardala in the spring with our tax return) and that’s one reason why I bought most of your songs/backtracks when I did–ready to start learning a couple of them now and have the others for them when I am ready. Mack the Knife and Fly Me to the Moon are no more difficult to learn the “Over the Rainbow” and the end of your ebook; they both sound great with the hard-rubber MP too! Gives is a nice Jazz sound 🙂

Rodney Name
                Participant

I recently purchased a Guradala MB II MP and was not overly satisfied. My ottto link NY 5 gives that sound of old school sexy tenor sound. Does any one have experience with other Guardala MP’s to try??

john
                  Keymaster

I love mine but it’s a guardala original and I don’t know how the knock-offs compare since I haven’t tried on yet.
                    The only other Guardala I own is the King Curtis and it rands 2nd to my MB cause it’s a little thinner in tone but still blows nice.
                    I think the point here is to determine what, and if there are any or major differences between these new Guardala’s being made and the originals that Dave Guardala made himself.

Rodney Name
                    Participant

How would compare the Claude Lakley vs the Otto Link NY’s. the reason I ask, I do not live near good music stores and to travel 60 + miles is getting old…thanks again

Michael Bishop
                      Participant

I was doing some online research for compatible ligatures with the MBii Guardala Mouthpieces that Johnny uses and found this guy who did the following youtube video on review of the Guardala MBii model he got though Amazon–you can see posts in the form of questions I had on his video–and he’s playing with the ones they make today. I messaged him and told him about this site and how awesome it was to be a part of this site 🙂 Through his messages to me, he says it’s the best MP he’s ever owned and is now pairing it up with the Saxxas ligatures, they’re really close in replication to the Winslow ligatures that Johnny uses–they even come with the little rubber pins 🙂 This guys sounds really good on his Guardala.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.