Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces Otto Link MPs contrasted against Dave Guardala MPs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Here’s a 2nd demo he did with the Guardala MBii model–he told me this MP is the best MP he has ever owned; got it though Amazon. I like this demo better than the first one LOL

Rodney Name
      Participant

I did a little experimenting with my Otto Link NY. I wasn’t sure how pleased I was. As you see I tried the Guardala MB II, I think most of the problem with it was the ligature that came with it didn’t fit with reeds and my existing Otto Link has a fitted ligature for the unique shape. Long and short, I placed a mouthpiece cushion on the Otto Link ligature plate that holds the reed and WOW what a more resonating sounds from OL MP all notes top to bottom.

john
        Keymaster

Good on you for this discovery…these little things can make a big difference.

john
          Keymaster

Good to hear people are raving about the Guardala copies…Michael, do you know if this guy owns an original as well?

Michael Bishop
            Participant

I asked him the same question about whether or not he owns an original as well and he said no, he got this from Amazon. He did say,though, that the ligature was key here, so Rodney007 is correct. This guy told me through his message the same thing Rodney007 is saying; the ligatures Amazon sends with the Guardalas that you buy from them simply don’t do the job, so if you’re going to get one; it’s best to be ready to get a good quality ligature on the side.—if you notice he mentions the ligature specifically in both videos I shared. On this video he’s using the Francois Louis ligature (it’s pronounced with a french accent LOL) and widely available and cost is really reasonable. He said since then he is now using the Saxxas line of ligatures, which is a very, very close replica of the Winslow ligatures that Johnny uses-can’t find them anymore now. The Saxxas ligatures even come with the little rubber pins and was the best he’s ever used. If you do an online research, you’ll see that both of the above ligatures are also being made available for Alto saxophones now too! Pretty cool–I would be most interested in pairing one of those up with the Trevor James Sax I’m getting in March for sure.

Tim56
              Participant

Baboon:You sound great. You should try the Winslow or Saxxas. They are the same. I have the Saxxas. It is the same as Johnnys. Is that a Yamaha you are playing? Hard rubber or metal?? Lee Allan used hard rubber. Did not like the metal in his mouth. He seemed to to very well. You have heard his work all through the 50’S and 60’S. Fats and Little Richard are just a few he played with. Tim

Dazza
                Participant

I have a line on a Otto Link 6 alto that an old digger who is retiring from playing is selling for $185. He states made in USA from “BELL” metal. Anyone know if this is unique as when I compare the Otto Links through the website to Amazon the new ones are priced at around the same. Being he has had this for 30 plus years it is of better quality than the new ones of same type. He claims it delivers a huge rock sound which is what I am after.
                  http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1056445851

john
                  Keymaster

He might have something there as far as the quality being better than the newer ones, which are selling from $200 and up on Amazon.com.
                    That being said, I’ve never heard of anyone going to a Link for a big rock sound. Links are good for more of a jazz sound if anything and a 6 isn’t huge, just in the middle. If you can afford to get it and have a go just for curiosity then great, but if you’re ultimately going for a rock sound I doubt you’ll stop there.

Dazza
                    Participant

Ok, stick with the Meyer 5 or 6 you reckon? My curiosity budget doesn’t stretch that far…

john
                      Keymaster

well, I don’t know where you’re at as far as time invested into playing etc but the Meyer is a good one for getting up to a certain level, then as for getting a big rock tone it’s not going to do much for you there. The Claude lakey I did a comparison with the meyer on a video on the blog, is way better than the meyer for that even better than the Link but the Claude lakey alluminums go for over $200 as well.
                        Anyway, if you’ve only been playing a little while, like a year or so stick with the meyer. The mp can do the most for us as far as getting some improvement with tone but it’s silly to start changing in search of that when only a few months of experience under our belts. It takes time to get the air, embouchure techniques together and so if they’re not, you can buy a $700 mp and still not be able to improve your tone.
                        Like, I’m not a good ice skater and so if a pro NHL Hockey Player lends me his best-in-the-world-skates my ankles will still be wobbling a bit and I won’t show much, if any improvement in my overall skating ability…same thing with the mp stuff. Keep working on your exercises tone etc. Record yourself, at some point post a video of you playing and we’ll give some honest criticism if you’re up for it. But record yourself even if you’re not up to sharing.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.