Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Overhaul vs adjusting

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

I have a Yamaha yts-61 tenor. I’ve noticed my c note isn’t playing right and I found one of the wire springs that hold the key was bent. I’ve adjusted it for now but gonna need to get it to the repair shop.
      Is there a benefit in getting a total sax overhaul or should I just fix problems as they arise?? If I get it overhauled will it feel like a new sax? It is over 40 years old?? Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

Pete
      Participant

Jake sounds like a hard pad to me, I have a similar problem on my
        spare tenor (Keilwerthsx90) certain notes hard to get? 20 year old
        now so I guess it is due.

john
        Keymaster

that’s a good question Jake. I know guys that got their horns overhauled and of course they felt better than ever. personally I’ve never had it done. as you probably know it’s a Selmer Mark 6 from 1960 and I’ve had it since around 1989-90. It always feels great and when it doesn’t I take it in and there’s something minor that gets adjusted or replaced. I could never justify spending the money for a total overhaul. that’s like getting your car engine rebuilt instead of fixing a couple problems. look into the cost and then decide. back when I was touring a lot it was over $2000 for an overhaul. also, take into account your horn and it’s value etc.

jake
          Participant

Thanks for the replies guys. My local sax shop says I’m looking 400-500ish. So I look at it as an investment. But if it doesn’t need it then why pay it. It really does play well top to bottom. There are some minor thIngs that it’s going to need. Something to ponder for sure.
            Thanks again.

brother cavefish
            Participant

by new needle pins, blue steel, i would not do an overhaul unless it really needed it, i like to fix things myself though

john
              Keymaster

oh I see. I don’t think the overhaul your guy is talking about is the same as my guy. a real overhaul is many man-hours of labour and new parts, upgrades etc. which would be way beyond 500$

Anonymous

my 4 yr old yamaha alto, i dropped it on the floor, bent in the lip of the bell, bent all the lower key pads out of position, bent a few lower rails, put a dint in the sax near the upper b key.

Cost me the equivalent of 500 US dollars. It was completely stripped down to remove the dent higher up the sax, a few pads were replaced, as well as bent springs.

I don’t know how they got the dent out, as i can’t see a physical mark. The lip of the bell, i was told they would damage the laquer when it was fixed. So i can see a scuff mark on the lip, that looks like a car scrape mark.

When i got it back, it didn’t play any differently. Its the 2nd time i’ve dropped it and had it repaired.

The price is definitely reflected in the brand name, age of the sax, and the condition it is in.

Some cheapo chinese brands, my guess is a repair guy might find it a nightmare to put back together tuning wise

john
                  Keymaster

ya good point. when I took a cheap chinese sax in they wouldn’t touch it because they said if they broke anything it would be impossible to get the proper replacement part.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.