Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Show Us Your Sax P Mauriat?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    adrian marsden
    Participant

Hi I’m new to this and i want to invest in a good tenor sax and wondering what people think of the P Mauriat saxophones? I’ll mostly be playing rock and roll and although this will be my first saxophone i want one that i won’t necessarily need to upgrade in the future as even the “cheap” ones are expensive! Any advice or thoughts appreciated!

john
      Keymaster

Although not sure how it compares to the well established ones such as Selmer and Yamaha etc, I believe they’re a ligitmate horn from what I’ve heard but I’ve never tried one.

What I do know is that if you’re leaning towards rock playing you’ll be able to get the sound you want from your mouthpeice and reed set up much more than from the kind of sax you’re playing. With that in mind get as good a horn as you can afford, make sure it’s in perfect working order from a sax shop and away you go.

adrian marsden
        Participant

thanks for your advice!

kevin broughton
          Participant

hi had 1/2 a day in the sax .co shop in denmark st london (great shop) tryed 15 tenor sax Trevor James, Yamaha, Bauhaus-WALSTEIN
            P. Mauriat . all in the £1.500 to £2.500 price range. The P. Mauriat, big band and the le bravo were the best of the bunch (for the price)
            both had a full rich tone like my conn 10m

john
            Keymaster

Thanks for that. Am curious about the Trevor James tenor… I know the Canadian distributor here in Canada and am playing one of their altos.

kevin broughton
              Participant

hi my sax teacher has a Trevor James Signature Custom with a silver crook neck it sounds and plays really good the down side is the sax costs £2.499 and the neck £500.00 that’s heading towards Yanagisawa t991 i dont think there as good as that.
                I here the Signature Custom is the same body as a Trevor James SR (1.549.00) but are built up when get to the UK.
                The Signature Custom I tried in London did not have the silver crook neck and was not worth the extra 1.000 pounds plus 500 if you want the neck.
                Be Interesting to put the silver crook neck on a Trevor James SR ?????

john
                Keymaster

Yes. According to my friend the TJ distributor, a few guys have traded in their Selmer M6’s for a TJ.

Alan Costin
                  Participant

I play a TJ “Horn Classic” Tenor which is my first ever Sax. I’ve had it for just over 2 years now and my tutor thinks it’s great for an entry level Sax.
                    I found that changing the mouthpiece ( to an Otto Link 6) made a huge difference,it seemed to bring the sax to life, compared to the mouthpiece that came with it.
                    Everyone who hears it says it sounds great and my tutor think its only worth changing if I upgrade to a Selmer Mk6 or SA80.

Peter Gainey
                    Participant

I put my yamaha 62 sax in for service and was loaned a mauriat PMXT66 tenor – the repairer knew what he was doing! I just had to buy it after gigging with it in the soul/ R n’B band I play with – Johnny’s right – its down to the mpiece/reed set-up mainly ( I use a Jody jazz NY 7star with rico royal 3) the sax has great build quality ( don’t let the fact they’re built in Taiwan put you off ) and , for me, has that ’50s sound I was looking for – great tone, timbre, plays well in all registers and it’s loud! Just what I needed playing in a 10 piece band where the bass and lead guitar feel there is only volume setting 11 on their amps – give them a try, the unlaquered gets even closer to the sound you may be trying to obtain. I still have the yammy, but rarely play it – a good testimonial for the Mauriats

Add Reply:

Cartpauj PM 1.0.09

© Copyright howtoplaysaxophone.org – Designed by technext

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.