Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Playing live

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Adams
    Participant

Hi Johnny I played a gig recently with a new PA system & I did not use a monitor & I really struggled to hear my backing tracks so I was thinking of purchasing an in ear monitor so that I can hear my backing tracks more clearly so I am interested in what type of monitoring devices you use when playing live. Kind regards Chris Adams

john
      Keymaster

Chris, welcome to the nightmares of playing live!
        I personally don’t like the in ears. tried them once and never again although many musicians I work with prefer them cause they do work. the reason I don’t like them is because I can’t hear the “room” and other natural things on stage but that’s a personal preference.
        I have my own monitor which is a nice big floor speaker and a small mixer which I can control myself. so I can have one channel for tracks and a 2nd for my sax.

Christopher Adams
        Participant

Thanks for your advice Johnny Ive borrowed a wedge floor monitor from a friend so I’m going to give that a try first & I’ll let you know how I get on & thanks again Johnny this site is without doubt the best!!

Elizabeth Wallace
          Participant

I am very fearful right now. Performing tomorrow for the first time ever on my own on stage at a music fest….Slade the main band and I’m first on stage with my small repertoire…mostly backing tracks from Johnny’s site. I have bought myself a ‘cube’ streetwise system…really for busking and I’m hoping that the music engineers will plug this into their main system so that I can control music from my Ipad….is this likely to happen, I have no idea …and I am now worried that I wont be able to hear backing tracks!!! Also …I’m afraid that I have my music with me, I completely freeze without my notes in front of me …I just hope its not too windy…Lord…what we do for gaining experience…onwards and upwards I hope!!

Anonymous

you need a buddy/manager/close friend/teacher to go along with you and stay with you right up to before performing – be open with them and talk out your fears, they should understand, and calm you down etc.. 1st times always the hardest! if at the last minute you feel like pulling out – ask yourself what have i got to lose? and i’m really annoyed because i’ve put so much effort into getting here.

The best thing to do when practicing is to put yourself in a relaxed state – all muscles limp, if there are any tricky bars to play, you will find that all the pro’s go automaticaly go into a relaxed laid back when they approach a difficult part, they do the complete opposite of tensing up!

Some pro’s practice a piece and deliberately make errors while playing to get into the mood of not concentrating on not making a mistake etc..

i could go on and on, but the best option is to have buddy, its the equivalent of a best man, they are supposed to take the stress off you so you can concentrate on giving that ‘HEY – LISTEN TO THIS GUYS’

Elizabeth Wallace
              Participant

Thank you…..it went well….the anticipation and waiting to go on stage was the worst…they were tuning up for the main bands right up until the last minute…I know that I was a little ‘filler’…but I didn’t realise how each band had to keep to the second…I was told when to go on and when my last number was up and off the stage!!!…a fantastic experience although I did feel rushed and only got 20 minutes…i didn’t know whether to play laid back or upbeat….so I started with slow and finished with ‘can’t take my eyes off you’….great to see people getting up singing and dancing….not bad for first act…when everyone was sober!! I’m so pleased that I did it and hopefully get another opportunity at some stage….and the sax certainly stands out!!! Everyone just loves it

Anonymous

well done – that should give you a buzz to get out there and do more gigs!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.