Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Playing sax in a band – anyone interested in this?

Tagged: 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Hey guys most of you on here are probably aware that I’m currently on a rather long tour
      Going really well playing every day in sold out theatres for the most part
      Yesterday I thought about a comment someone made on this forum and that was a suggestion for me to make a video about how to play sax with a band… How to fit in and what to play etc
      So I was thinking I could put the recorder close to me and my monitor for a song or two and you could hear exactly what I do
      This isn’t something I would have thought of doing and it will take some extra planning and effort but if some of you guys are keen on this let me know

Johnny

Michael Bishop
      Participant

Hi Johnny,
        That would be REALLY great, I’m keen on it for sure…I don’t think I’m by any means the only one either. I wish your touring manager would post more videos of you guys playing live other than the ones that he has on his channel…talk to him and let him know that one of your Saxophone students is watching his videos on his channels and is requesting “more” LOL I should probably leave a comment on his channel so that he believes you LOL
        I’m the one who had asked about if you could do a blog article or something on the “do’s and don’ts” of playing with a band. In starting to work with the great folks with the Blues Society here in Arkansas, they had shared stories with me of very talented musicians/players who got tossed off their band because they couldn’t “function” with one. They were sharing stories/experiences with me of very talented guitar players, keyboard players, etc.. who seemed to think they were the “main attraction”…even more so than the vocalist. They told me that, sure, they LOVE to hear someone solo and take the spotlight (especially on the Saxophone) but there’s a time and place for it. With us moving into our new place, getting all settled in, setting up my practice room/my display of Saxophone players on the wall, I put the weekly session with the guys locally on halt till after the holidays; which worked out good for them too because they needed personal time off too it being holiday season. It would be great timing for sure on your part if you could do something along the lines like you were talking about. It would be a great lesson for all of us, not just me..to be able to see as up close-and-personal as possible, exactly some of the do’s and don’ts of playing on a live band.
        How long are you guys going to be on tour? Are you just touring up there in Canada only?

Dazza
        Participant

Go for it Johnny. As we all become more familiar and comfortable with the basics and progress our playing with backing the next big unknown is how to play live even if it is just with a guitar and drums and a vocalist. Nowhere to hide when you step up to blow those all important few notes in a little run or lick. I am sure we will all learn a great deal more from watching and listening to you play live. I think more and more of us tuning in to your insights are keen for some live stuff as one of my great disappointments is that there are few opportunities to see that around my home town. Whatever you can do in your busy schedule would be greatly appreciated.

Jazz Cat
          Participant

that would be a big help (I’d make it a for-pay 2-3 lesson, 1-hour worth of video course $27-$47) to a lot who are learning…from my years of part-time gigging here’s my .02 for topics:

a) how to Complement the singer (or guitar) without Competing… often people in new bands try to outplay each other, badly…so how and when to play “in the pocket” when the singers’ belting out a chorus, or when guitarist is soloing

b) how to Solo onstage: you do a great job Johnny of MOVING with STYLE on Sax when you play, you motivate me…it’s a Lot different than politely standing up during a solo as lead alto in HS jazz band like I used to do

c) how to FEND off the drunk women who invariably try to go to your motel/hotel room with you when the gig’s over…lol
            (unless they’re hot, in which case you tell them why ladies ‘in the know’ like sax players 🙂 ).

good idea

William Cingolani
            Participant

Great idea Johnny. The only band experience I ever had was a couple weeks in Jazz Camp years ago. I’d like to learn how to fit in. So I’m keen on the idea.

Z
              Participant

That would be awesome. Just hearing you play live in your element would be fantastic.

john
                Keymaster

Ok guys I will try to put something together
                  it will take some time tho because the tour goes for 10 more days and shortly after that I have to go away again but I will keep you posted as I get to work on it

jake
                  Participant

What name are you touring under. Would love to look you up and see one of your shows it you play anywhere within few hours of me. And yea, I with the other guys, would love to see/hear ya!!!

john
                    Keymaster

sorry for the late reply Jake but I missed your post!
                      The tour was under the name Legends of Rock and Roll and this specific show was called “Class of ’59”
                      I am home now and will start looking thru some footage I got.

wayne wojnarowski
                      Participant

Sorry for the late response as well , great idea, how can we get or could we get the guys and gals on this site to form a band?? I can play drums and alto. Michael mentioned that a few weeks ago. I think it would be exciting, fun and educational!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.