Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Daily Practice Routine #1 Practice Routine #1 – New as of Aug 18th 2014

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

I hope everyone that got access to this daily practice routine sticks to it (don’t let it down and it won’t let you down) and hopefully posts a video…
      Imagine having your own “Before and After” video to compare.
      Record yourself playing some of the exercises within the first few days to a week. Work hard on this for 2-3 months and then record and post another video.
      Of course whether you post or not is not the most important thing as long as you at least do it for your own viewing. But you can get more out of it by having others and myself to comment either positively or negatively and you’ll be able to know and learn more that way.
      We are not here to impress each other but to get better at what we are doing!!!

iqi20-practice-routine-banner-1.png

Premium Saxophone Lessons

Michael Bishop
      Participant

I’ll be getting this very soon Johnny as I just popped out almost $400 to have the Alto serviced….really great of you to create a practice routine like this. I like the way you put it too, regarding posting videos for you to see & critique—it has helped me so, so much. Who knows, by now, how many things I’ve done that we’re prevented from becoming a bad habit/hard to break because of posting videos? It a HUGE learning tool; thanks! 🙂

Craig Scott
        Participant

This looks like just the ticket. I plan to work this routine daily as well as learn a pile of music sent to be by the St. Petersburg Community Band. I’m going to go sit in on their Sept. 8 rehearsal and see how things feel. It’s back to Broadway medleys and Sousa marches – just like high school – but it should be fun, if I can still cut it. This practice routine will go a long way toward preparing me.

john
          Keymaster

@suelande – all working now so please try again.

Well Craig, you got about 3 weeks so if you make your daily practice routine more like an hour rather than 30 minutes you’ll still benefit greatly
            by following the routine…keep us posted!

Bill Folz
            Participant

I also just purchased Practice Routine #1 and have been unable to get to it. What should I do?

john
              Keymaster

Ok well the issue was fixed just a few minutes ago so try it again, it could be you tried just befor it was fixed.
                If you don’t get access I’ll look into it further.

john
                Keymaster

ok have emailed you some instructions.

Andy Blackard
                  Participant

Fantastic!

Thank you so much for this lesson, Johnny. Exactly what I needed!

My time is very limited as I work a 60-70 hour a week job in medical IT. I have found that your “metronome” exercise is the absolute best use of my practice time if I can only get 15 minutes some days on the horn. These daily patterns will complement that exercise perfectly.

Craig Scott
                    Participant

Johnny,

I’ve been working with the mouthpiece only for a couple of days and I can get maybe 5 notes in a scale so far. The breakthrough for me was getting down the the B-flat you started on in your video. To do that, however, my bottom lip had to be so loose that I felt air coming in between my lip and teeth and kind of puffing out that area below my lower lip. Felt like it was going to start flapping. Am I on the right track?

CS

john
                      Keymaster

Yes you are. these are not easy and I chose the Bb on tenor because it was about the lowest I could go and still make a reasonable sounding note from it. the other thing is you are only going to go so high and so the lowest we start with the easier it will be on the top end. keep experimenting with it. to be successful quicker you can start on the next note up, which will be easier, but probably harder to hit it’s octave.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.