Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Problems starting on A

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jackie Moody
    Participant

I don’t believe it is a problem with my saxophone. When I start playing on the A note, it plays an octave above the note I am trying to play. No, my thumb is not on the octave key. The note plays fine when I play it in a scale (notes above and below it). It just happens when I start with that note. I suspect it is an embouchure problem? If I really concentrate before playing the note, I can fix the problem after a few tries. Will this ever get easier? LOL

john
      Keymaster

that is a weird one Jackie.
        I would still check the octave key pad, that’s the one on top of the neck.
        if it has a leak it could cause that. the way to check it is to hold it down with your finger while playing the note.

Jackie Moody
        Participant

I thought it might be what you said about the octave key, but the repair guy and I proved that to not be the case. As much as I want it to be, a saxophone embouchure is not a “set it and forget it” thing. I was not changing the opening in my throat (as for low notes) when starting on that A. I was too tight, if that makes any sense. Still trying to figure all this out, but at least I feel one step closer now. Thanks. 🙂

john
          Keymaster

Ok good to hear it’s not that octave key.
            Here’s what I’d do…
            play the A within a scale as you said it doesn’t happen when you do this.
            when you hit that A successfully within that scale stop and hit it again a 2nd time then a 3rd time.
            is it still happening?
            also, are you tonguing each note or. are you slurring them? and is it the same outcome.
            sometimes when we slur there is less of a chance of losing control because there is no break or stoppage in the air supply.
            so experiment a bit with those things and let me know if anything changes for you.

Jackie Moody
            Participant

When I really concentrate and pay attention (ahem) to what I’m doing, I can hit it right every time. You are right, though, it seemed to happen more upon tonguing than upon slurring. It’s an air supply, throat opening issue. If I think about it before I play it, I can hit it right every time. It was just in the middle of a song (kinda fast, tongued) that I was having the problem. The note before it was higher (B), and I think on my sax I have to open my throat more going down. Make sense? I just have to practice is repeatedly, as you mentioned. Thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.