Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Problems with octave

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kim Høg
    Participant

Hi.
      I first have to tell you that I am a beginner.
      I was practicing to get better, I took a little break for some minutes, and as I began playing again it didn't sounds right. Everything was one octave higher than it should be. I'm pretty sure that I place my mouth correctly (but I'm a beginner so…). I've tried different reeds, and if I only use the mouthpiece it sounds correct but the saxophone plays one octave higher that it should.
      Do you have any solution?
      Kim

john
      Keymaster

Hi Kim, look at your octave key, it is probably stuck in the open position.
        This can happen once in a while because the rod gets caught and won't allow the pad to close.

Kim Høg
        Participant

I wish it was so easy but I looked at the octave key several times. I can also see that physical it change correctly. I should also add that the high "B" is nearly impossible to get a sound from.
          I really hope you can help because, I can't practice before this trouble have been solved.

john
          Keymaster

If it is opening correctly and you are also having difficulty playing the high B then it sounds like one of those high note pads is leaking. You should take it to a sax repair shop, it could be just one tiny pad ,making a lot of trouble for you and a pad change is not an expensive job.

Kim Høg
            Participant

Okay then. Thank you for your expertise.
              I will go to the local sax repair shop soon.

Happy Easter.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.