Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Question about recording with headphones?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi Johnny – i haven’t bought any recording gear (case of priorities money spending wise) got to delay it a couple of months.

When i put headphones on and listen to a backing track through the headphones & play my sax at the same time – i find because i cant hear the sax properly it affects intonation & being in tune!

with recording setups is it possible to hear the backing track & the sax through the headphones?because if not, i won’t be doing any recordings with headphones!

Dazza
      Participant

Sure is James. A basic mixer (I bought my Behringer 502USB for $65) will allow you to hear whats playing from your music source and to hear what you are playing and volumes can be adjusted to suit. I play regularly now with head phones when I practice as I think I hear more exactly what I am playing. When I don’t wear them I play very close to a glass wall as it deflects a nicer sound straight to my ears than when I play in the middle of the room as poor acoustics make me sound thinner and less pleasing to the ear so that’s why I enjoy it more with the headphones. You can do this even before you decide on a recording device.

Anonymous

Thanks Dazza – i can’t stand wearing headphones while playing the sax, it feels like i’m wearing a cardboard box over my head and the sax is in another room. lol

Jazz Cat
          Participant

+1 for behringer mixers, used ’em for years.
            http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-502-XENYX502-5-Channel-Mixer/dp/B000J5UEGQ/
            or
            http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-802-Premium-8-Input-Preamps/dp/B000J5XS3C (I use this w/elec. gtr, too)

to play w/backing tracks though, I use earbuds (not big headphones) playing w/my sansa mp3 player, works great so can still hear yourself play…or w/one earbud in

Anonymous

thanks jazz – i want to get one of these

https://www.djkit.com/kam/kam-zoomer-800-transportable-pa-system-with-built-in-ipod-dock.html

then i can play the sax along with it (no need for headphones), i would prefer to record that way as i am more used to playing in a band – so i can hear feel the sounds around me and the room acoustics – headphones just dont do it for me. Possibly could use a mic on the pa speaker & mic on the sax, feeding into separate channels?

Bill Mecca
              Participant

pop one earphone off to hear the sax acoustically. I just slide it slightly off my right ear, usually. HA had to think about that for a moment. 😉

William Cingolani
                Participant

I do the same as Bill Mecca, one hear phone off one ear.

wayne wojnarowski
                  Participant

Hey Dazza I always play into the walls doors windows even if your on stage and you have a crappy mix you can play into your music stand. As everyone else has said I put the opposite headphone half on SXpoet that was exactly my problem when I recorded my little ditty for this forum.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.