Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Question about the Fiber Reeds

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hi guys,

Hope everyone enjoyed time with your family 🙂 I was pulling my Sax stuff out and was curious to hear from members about the Fiber Reeds. How do you feel about them vs Cane Reeds? Seems like they might help with practice time and consistency vs looking for a good Cane reed/caring for it? How do they sound to you vs Cane Reeds? The Synthetic Reeds I’ve tried always sound fake and thin, so I stayed away from them. Let me know what you think, thanks! 🙂

Pete
      Participant

Hi Michael
        Long time hearing from you, hope you are well. The Harry Hartmann fiberreads are very good, i have had the Hemp and the carbon Onyx and they are so reliable. I play the hemp one the most because it sounds a lot warmer than the carbon Onyx Johnny did a review on them (click on reeds) and he sounds great on the carbon. I have had mine for many months and still sounding the same as when i bought them.Hope this helps.

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Thanks for the insights Pete, very cool 🙂 Did you send me a message a couple months back asking about the Sax lines for ‘Spooky’ in Tenor Sax? I have the Sax lines if you need them. Yeah, my doctor told me to give myself time from the TMD disorder/oral surgery….easier said than done to wait. But I’m feeling awesome and have no pain or anything, so I’m going for it. I’m starting with the MP in my mouth and just playing with the mouthpiece to strengthen embouchure muscles, air support exercises, Johnny’s ‘ehh-ahh’ exercise, tuning, etc.. Mentally, I haven’t forgotten how to do anything, it’s about working to re-develop everything else–finger dexterity, air support, embouchure, etc.. This is the kind of stuff I’ll be doing for the next few months and then I’ll go from there. It will be a while yet before I even try to play a song or anything, taking it all in strides/one step at a time.

brother cavefish
          Participant

for me i can totally tell the difference , the wood/cane is quieter and warmer,, the onyx was not to bad, but it is noticable , i would like to try the hemp just to see the buzz factor,

brother cavefish
            Participant

if anyone want to trade i have a brand new onyx i would trade for a hemp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.