Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Saxophone Lessons Question regarding keys in your Killer Blues course

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Ella, check out that section now, I have made an update for that specific part in the Basic Blues Scale Exercises section.

Ella Swinbank
      Participant

Hi Johnny,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write the explanation for me. Yes its starting to make sense! I understand that the 1,4,5 of the G blues scale are G, C and D. And having wrote out the scales for C and D I can now see that when it changes to C the same numbers played from the G scale are repeated in the C scale and the same for D. So I think I’m starting to grasp it although I do realize I need to brush up on my theory as I don’t know what chords I’m playing.

I almost got in a right mess as I was going to transpose the C scale to A thinking I was matching concert C. It was the numbers played from the scales matching up which made me realize I didn’t have to do this. Go on have a laugh..

Thanks again for your time.
        Ella

john
        Keymaster

So, good, we got you just in time! Don’t rush this. Take time writing, studying,and playing these simple scales and then the exercises. Some people think this is just too simple and look for other “magic pills” to be able to play great solos overnight but that won’t happen.
          Play them so much that you start memorizing them and the exercise licks… eventually all keys but for now just in G, C, and D.
          You’ll be somewhere else in a few months from now I guarantee it!

Ella Swinbank
          Participant

Yes, I’m with you now! I’ve had a look at the ‘Basic Blues Scale Exercises’ section you’ve updated and I’m in agreement.

So thinking back to my first post where I also said I was clueless about playing over a chord, I’m now thinking that this is what I’m actually doing when playing over the G, C and D.

Thank you!
            Ella

john
            Keymaster

Keep on it and don’t hesitate to post any further questions here!

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.