Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Problems With Your Sax? Re-padding

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Kiziuk
    Participant

Hi all. I got my very first saxophone today. I got it off of eBay where in the description it read,”all pads in perfect condition” I had a friend with over 25 years try it out and he said that some of the pads leaked. He said it should be looked at! I said where do I go, he said he has never had pads replaced, but stay away from Sam Ash because they charge an arm and a leg. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do, or what place to look for, and what does repadding cost around? It’s a Armstrong 3008A alto saxophone.
      Mark

jake
      Participant

Sorry to hear that about your sax. Ive had my share of eBay saxes and not 1 played as described Every one of them needed some tinkering done. It especially hard when your new to the sax. I’m lucky enough to have a local music shop that works on saxes right where I live. It’s a small town local music store and the owner is a sax player!! Bonus.
        Not sure where your from but do you have any music stores around?? If not you may be stuck with Sam ash if that’s all that’s around. You definitely want a working sax without leaks before starting to learn! A bad sax is a sure way to end your journey quickly. Good luck!!

RRafael
        Participant

I live in a small town in the middle of Kansas and I too struggle with finding “sax shops”. What I have done is find a good music store and talk to the tech. Most of the time the school district or college university will have a shop they take their instruments to and that is a good place to start. I have had an alto completely gone through about 2 years ago and it ran about $400.00. Not cheap but considering my options I did not have much choice. If you only have a few pads leaking you might get by a lot cheaper. Good luck.

Mark Kiziuk
          Participant

I just found a repair shop that’s not too far away. I’m going to try to bring it there this Saturday. They give free estimates which is good. I was told by a friend that it sounds like a couple of the pads leak and that the upper register doesn’t work. It’s gotta get fixed before I can play it, so I’m going to try to just drop it off this Saturday.
            Mark

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.