Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions RECORDING

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    paddy jordan
    Participant

Hi Wiliam i have one of those they are great if you want to do bit mouthpiece of practice and don’t want to get the whole neighbour hood upset, you can use it anywhere.Also what may be of interest to you something i also use, a Warburton P.E.T.E. Embouchure Trainer and that makes no noise at all, these things are real cool and they work for me anyway,you can have one in your pocket and use it absolutely anywhere. hope that helps William.
      paddy

William Cingolani
      Participant

Thanks Paddy. What I was looking for is a muffler like what trumpets use to tone down the sound of the sax. I’m blowing every body out of the house

Tim56
        Participant

William: Mutes are made. They work except for down low. Look up nation of music. Steve Goodson sells them. I have one. Don’t use it too much. You know, tell the peeps when your going to practice and they can get ear muffs. My wife knows. I have my room and I play. Salm 33.3 is play load and strong. A tenor in not a faint instrument!!! Listen to Johnny play Europa. I can do that sound range. It’s as good as I can do. So, have at it. Tim

Anonymous

If i practice when my daughters in the house or my wife is in the house, i only practice for an hour max – which they can tolerate.

My daughter puts on headphones, and my wife just puts up with it, but she would complain if i played for hours and hours.

Here in the UK, on average houses generally are smaller, and have smaller rooms – think walt disney world hotel bedrooms. So for that reason i don’t play on a guardalla mouthpiece at all in the house.

If i went round to my teacher, with the guardella mouth, he would ask me to play softer – which defeats the object, so hardly ever use it – sorry folks.

I am tempted to get a roland ae10, which would be useful for finger muscle memory practice, but wouldn’t be the same as a real mouthpiece – as you can put headphones phone and no one can hear.

The only thing is my teacher and i both cant understandand why they cant make an electronic sax look and feel like a sax – i mean, if you are going to use sax finger positions, its a sax, not a recorder.

William Cingolani
            Participant

Tim and sxpoet,
              I saw the sax mutes. I’ll just learn to blow softly.

Tim56
              Participant

William: Try this, soft foam. There are many firmness grades. I have 2 I made. Put a 1 inch hole in it. It works. When I was in an orchestra, the director told me about doing the mute. It works. Put in in the bell by 2 inches below the lip. Tim

Anonymous

back in the nineties a friend of mine won a tvr car similar to these
                  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVR_S_Series

he could never get out of second gear – so in the end he sold it as it was to fast for where he lived.

Have fun playing softly!

Tim56
                  Participant

saxpoet: I saw that episode. Hey I got 360 HP in my 1948 Woodie wagon. I don’t do drag stuff with it. It does go however! The foam will work guys! Give it a try. Even Johnny will tell you that playing softly on the Tenor takes more air and you gotta work on it. Tim

Viewing 8 posts - 11 through 18 (of 18 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.