Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Reed Importance

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

Really good info being posted on reeds.

The following is from the 10mfan website. Many nice mouthpieces are available from 10mfan. Mark talks the importance of the reed.

Reeds

sxpoet
      Participant

very true

i bought a new mouthpiece recently, as i don’t know what reed and reed strength works with it, i bought 14 different reeds of the strength i normally play on my other mouthpiece.

And i was staggered to hear the difference in all the reeds, some suited to jazz, some suited to classical, and some suited for different styles of tunes. Not just a case of finding a reed that plays, as they all play, but some definitely don’t fit certain tunes.

And all that is from using a different reed – cheaper than wasting money buying lots of mouthpieces.

Mel
        Participant

Reeds definitely aren’t cheap.

I’m currently playing on a 6* GS Slant mouthpiece. It’s an Otto link Florida Slant Signature Tone Edge Replica. $199

I love it. I currently am using D’Addario Select Jazz reeds 2 Hard. I really like the in between sizes. Same with Rigotti Gold.

Many say ligatures don’t make a difference, but I have a Rovner Dark, a Boston Sax shop Brass Superlative and a Francois louis Brass Ultimate and there are big differences between the three. I use the Ultimate with my set up. It really opens up the sound.

Pete
          Participant

Mel yea good ligature Francois Louis, I have the Ultimate silver for my Otto Link STM 7* M/P and like you say it makes the difference in it being more open and frees the reed more. It is a minefield the reed & mouthpiece debate, when you are happy with what you have just get on with practice/playing to much time talking about the gear can throw you off and can become an obsession.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.