Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Recording Your Saxophone Right equipment to record??

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Dan Fleming
    Participant

Johnny, I am interested in your home recording course. I have a Lexicon Omega Recording Studio that I never got around to learning to use. Is that something that I could work with? thanks

Dan Fleming
      Participant

Did I post this to the wrong place or doesn’t anyone know the answer?

john
        Keymaster

Sorry I have been away last little while.
          Yes, that’ definately something you could work with. I have never used a Lexicon Omega Recording Studio but use something that’s very similar. The hardware is simply a matter of hooking it up to your computer, it’s the software that can take you some time to get used to. On the Omega it comes with Cubase, I personally use Pro Tools but they both do the same thing and that is to record your tracks. There’s tons of videos on Youtube so it shouldn’t be a problem for you to get going with it.
          I don’t have a recording course but can try and answer any questions you might have.

Dazza
          Participant

Hey Johnny. On recording I am playing through a Shure sm57 into a Behringer mixer and listening through my headphones and it sounds great. You really pickup all the finer details of your sound when you play. Much like playing close up against a wall which I have been doing a bit lately to deflect the sound to my ears but I am not getting the same result when I record in Audacity and play back. To be honest, it sounds like crap. Any thoughts on what it might be? Is it the sound card not performing or possibly the software not quite up to it? The computer is quite new and possesses a good quality sound card. Its a bit frustrating not being able to reproduce what you hear going in. Any thoughts??

john
            Keymaster

Couple things Dazza,
              first of all I love shure 57’s, I used to use one live on stage for a while. They are good for a sax because they sound nice and crisp without any extra EQ.
              Going thru a cheap mixer is not going to help and the sound card on your PC can be questionable because it’s most likely not made for quality sound recordings. I don’t use PC’s I use a Mac and go thru an external audio interfaces which are higher quality than your mixer and sound card. Although Audacity is free and not as good as other software recording programs I don’t think it would have any negative effects on the sound quality…as long as the other things where in place.
              When I got set up with home recording around 1998, I spent well over $3500 on the proper Mac with Pro Tools hardware and software, today anyone can get the Pro Tools hardware and software for a few hundred bucks. Or, you can buy a Mac and get Garageband for free which is a good recording program. Once you have that it’s just a matter of adding your mic and hopefully a good audio interface. These are the key.

Kevin
              Participant

Dazza, Is the Mixer just going into the mic input to the sound card? I have had bad luck with that myself in some former configuration trials.
                Tho I don’t use PC software for the mixing, I do have to bring in the .WAV file from my ZOOM recorder. For that I use an RCA to USB interface. It works OK, and has a level meter to watch so the incoming level can be set as needed.

The one I use is no longer available, but the following device is very similar, and is the same brand as your mixer-

Behringer U-CONTROL

http://www.fullcompass.com/product/366255.html?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=googleps&gclid=CJ7akcy5nMMCFS0Q7AodsHYAfg

Dazza
                Participant

The Behringer 302 has a usb input and I would have thought it would reproduce the sound well but if it is then it could be the PC or the software. I might check out Johnnys tips again on the recording studio setup. See if I missed something but the setup I have simply isn’t good enough to Blog with.

jake
                  Participant

Hey Dazza, can’t wait to hear that new tenor you got. A nice recording setup is def nice but you shouldn’t let it hold you up from posting to the blog. When I post my vids they are straight from my ipod with no editing or special effects to them, Of course they would be a nice additive but having that raw sound will give us a great opportunity to give honest and useful critiques to help us improve. I myself read the various critiques from other players and apply them to myself to improve. Let’s see that tenor in action!!
                    Jake

Dazza
                    Participant

Yep, you’re dead right Jake. I will give it a shot and see what comes. I am really digging the sound of the tenor and now getting a nice sound from Bb to F# with some success on the G (Alt). The rental sax (Jupiter student) has a dodgy middle D and it sounds stuffy and restricted which is frustrating. It could be the MP but I haven’t tried others on it yet. I haven’t worried too much about it as its just a means to an end – get me through my daily practice routine prior to a new tenor a some point soon. I am looking at a nice vintage Yamaha 61 from the late 80’s for under $700 that sounds and looks nice. A lot of great things reported about that horn – and most Yamahas of course. Owned by a pro player for twenty years sho is converting to guitar! Can you believe it??

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.