Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions sax sound

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jake
    Participant

Hey Johnny, quick question for you.
      While listening to various songs that have saxophone in them I notice very distinct differences in the sounds. For example take Who can it be now by men at work. The sax has a buzzing type of sound to it.
      Segers turn the page, the sax it crisp and clean sounding.
      Thorogoods I drink Alone sounds gritty and nasty, the sound I am churning for!!!!!

So the questions is: are the differences in the sounds attributed to different setups or skill of playing the saxophone?

I am still new to the sax, a little over a year now playing alto and tenor and when I play my notes don’t seem to have the “saxxy” sound that drew me the the saxophone. I do have a few different mouth pieces but notice very subtle differences if any at all.

john
      Keymaster

This is the great thing about the saxophone, every one who plays it will have their own sound. The sound you get will depend on everything from your embouchure and how you breathe, your chosen set up regarding mouthpiece and reeds, and your saxophone.

Best thing to get close to the sound you like is to play the same equipment as the saxophonists that have the type of sound you are looking for, most importantly the mouthpiece. Without being too specific, the rock players you mentioned are not playing with a traditional classical hard rubber mouthpiece.

There are so many choices now for mp’s, I’ve brought up a few more popular ones both in a blog video you can check out on the blog and on some articles which you can link to from the home page under saxophone articles.

jake
        Participant

Thanks so much for your insight and quick response. I guess it is time for me to go visit the local music shop and start trying some new things out. Thanks again!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.