Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Saxophone – A Lead Instrument..?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tom Tom
    Participant

I play alto sax, exclusively. I've never played tenor, though I'm really curious to (because of the size of the thing, if nothing else!). However, a definite point of hesitation, for me, is the sax's status as a lead instrument. I'm most interested in rock and roll style currently, where whatever sax present is obviously going to take lead parts / solos… But in a group setting with more than one sax (e.g. an alto and a tenor), who would you expect to take the lead?

I guess I'm thinking of it in terms of lead guitarist vs. rhythm guitarist, and I want the solos, damnit. 😀 Thoughts, please!

Cheers.

john
      Keymaster

Well, there is no set rules for which sax will get more solos if there's 2 or more in a band.

I think that 2 reasons will dictate though… the style of the song and how good the player is. In other words one will simply just fit better for the song's style and the player's style.

Tom Tom
        Participant

Thanks for the input, Johnny. Having read the email you sent yesterday (Which Sax Should I Play?), I'm going to hit the nearest music shop and bust out a few tunes. I think, after that, I'll know. To be honest, it's seeing you rock the tenor that's inspired me to give it a try – thanks!

john
          Keymaster

If you're leaning towards rock and roll, the tenor is more suited. Having said that, one of my all-time favorite sax players is Edgar Winter, who plays a very mean alto.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.