Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Mouthpieces saxophone mouthpiece

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    john
    Keymaster

Yes Dazza, a “good” teacher is a must to experience what is happening with your playing.
      this will surely help you to progress faster and determine if your struggles are related to a mouthpiece or not.
      In the first 1-3 years, constant changing of mp’s is not recommended because you haven’t spent enough time developing
      the other more important things such as embouchure and air support. playing a great mp when these other things aren’t right won’t help.
      there is a point tho when you are finally playing properly and an upgrade in a mp is what needed for that next step in tone improvement…
      how will you know? this is exactly where a good teacher can help to determine.

Michael Bishop
      Participant

I think Johnny just made a really, really good point and it’s one of the reasons why I’m sticking with the ebonite MPs that I’m using right now. I think it’s much more important in the early stages of our progression of learning to play to focus more on our playing technique/playing abilities v.s. changing MPs all the time, trying to find that “magical” MP/reed set up. I think for the person who has proper technique, they know what they have to do to get that sound to come out. Lee Allen hated metal MPs, he loved Hard Rubber MPs and listen to his tone and technique! I know King Curtis used Hard Rubber Berg MPs a lot too; although he did use metal Berg Larsens at times too. But I think the point being is like Johnny said above, it’s much more important to focus on our own playing technique at this stage in our playing. Check out this interview of world-renowned Sax player Andy Snitzer, whose endorsed by Trevor James Saxophones. He talks about the exact same thing. Good for you Dazza for taking those steps! The rewards will come 🙂

Anonymous

bottom line is if you are playing out of tune anywhere on a sax, squeaking or having problems with intonation – you are deluding yourself and wasting your time and other peoples time, if you think you can resolve these problems on your own.

It is far quicker to admit the fact that you need help and get a teacher to sort out your problems in a matter of months than waste years trying to figure out what you are doing wrong.

Daza you are doing the correct thing – by having lessons with a teacher to correct any problems and in 2 to 3 months you will be kicking yourself for having wasted all that time and cash.

Michael Bishop
          Participant

Yes, exactly. Great points Chipper 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 11 through 14 (of 14 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.