Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums General Questions Saxophone Stands

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Steve CA
    Participant

Johnny,
      I figure you have gone thru your share of different types of Saxophone Stands. Looks like Hercules and Hamilton are the “big two” that have the biggest line share of that business.
      What can you tell us about Stands in general? Who needs them? when should the new Student GET a stand? Is there anything about them that we need to know, so that we are not buying a piece o’ crap?! What if we are on a budget? Is there a Stand out there that is reliable, sturdy and trustworthy, for not too much piggy-bank money????

-Soupy

john
      Keymaster

Here’s my stand. I always get these, they are adjustable to come up very high. this is what I need because I can just walk up to it and play my sax while it’s on the stand and I don’t have to bend over, it’s that high.
        I’ve never seen them online and the sticker has faded off so I don’t evern know the brand but my local music store had them last time I went in to buy this one (I actually have 2)
        I wouldn’t worry too much about durability in your case because it will just sit in your house right? I drag mine all over the place for gigs, touring etc and they don’t seem that rouged and they still last pretty good.
        stand.jpg

Tim56
        Participant

Folks: Take a look at the Hercules stands. I don’t know if they have one as high as Johnnies? They are very well built. I have had mine for 5 years. No problems. There about $40 bucks US. Hey, just checked out SAX RAKS. They have a Tenor and Alto that shows to be higher off the floor than the Herc. Did not see any measurements? Tim

Steve CA
          Participant

For a guy like me, just playing at home, with four dogs and a cat, and grand kids from time to time, I hesitate to buy a “Stand.” Your thoughts about the level of “need” for me?

-Soupy

Anonymous

I have a portable stand and i only get it out, if i wan’t to play my sax and have short breaks
              in between playing .. phone rings, someone at the door, i need to find another music book.

Otherwise i put the stand away as i’m paranoid about the stand being knocked over with
              the sax on it!

If you play in public – a stand is a great asset.

Steve CA
              Participant

I guess it would be a good thing to have around, in a pinch. I suppose if I ever got good enough to play a gig with “Johnny” I’d better have one eh?! (lol)
                It doesn’t look like they cost all that much, so maybe one day. Just wondered mostly if leaving the Saxophone on the stand (instead of “in the case”) would be ok. don’t know if subjecting my horn to the ambient temperatures was a good idea or not. Don’t want my horn to turn green too soon!!

-Soupy

john
                Keymaster

if your case is one of those long rectangular shaped ones then the sax does fit ok in them when it’s put together.
                  so if thet’s the case and you’re just practicing at home you won’t really need a stand.

Mel
                  Participant

I ordered a Titan Folding Tall Tenor Sax Stand from Musicians Friend. I can’t play my sax in the stand like Johnny’s but it keeps from bending over all the time to pick my sax up. As I get older it’s the little things in life.

William Cingolani
                    Participant

I’m in the market for a tall stand. I’m looking at the Hercules tall Auto-Grab Sax Stand at Musician’s Friend

William Cingolani
                      Participant

http://www.musiciansfriend.com I just now ordered a Hercules tall Auto grab tenor sax stand from Musicians friend. Price is $44.48

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.