Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Repertoire Sheet music???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Matt Wheeler
    Participant

Hey Johnny ,I have an opportunity to play with the church band . I told the band leader to give me a copy of the music and i would start practicing the songs. I was given a sheet of music with the lyrics (i attached for your review) and notes above the lyrics . Not the same as what i have been playing from. I have been playing the standard sheet music with all the notes shown on the page. Same as what you have in your videos.Also Is it possible to transpose this for a tenor same as other sheet music.Any advise would be a big help.Im not sure how to proceed with this.

john
      Keymaster

You didn’t attach anything.

Matt Wheeler
        Participant

Sorry .lets try it again,hopefully it is attached

Matt Wheeler
          Participant

Sorry .lets try it again,hopefully it is attached

Matt Wheeler
            Participant

Im sorry for some reason i cannot get the doc to attach,maybe i can just explain the type of music i was sent.
              Basically its just the lyrics with either the note above certain words in the song throughout.Kinda like having chords over the words what you should be playing until you get to the next set of words with either an A or G or E or Am like that ,no notes what so ever that is written on a staff,like sheet music with the notes on the staff,bar by bar. I tried to play this today and it does not sound at all correct. Kinda like playing long tones while someone sings the lyrics.Any advise,i looked online for some of the songs but they are mostly in piano not to many in Tenor.So i would have to find the sheet music for the song then Transpose it to Tenor. There must be an easier way,I will spend more time transposing the songs than practicing them .
              Thanks awaiting your reply.
              Matt Wheeler

john
              Keymaster

That’s just the way people label the chord progression over the melody/lyrics. If it has a B major then you would use a B scale to improvise over it etc. Minor chords you’d use a minor scale. Sometimes a blies scale will work depending on the song etc. There are a few different variable but it’s pretty straight ahead, you can check out the video lesson for blies improvising and that will cover a lot of it.

As for transposition, remember on tenor you need to thing one whole tone up (2 semi tones) so a B major concert is C# major on tenor.

Matt Wheeler
                Participant

I will check it out,thanks again Johnny.Have a good one .
                  Mattsax

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.