Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Short Minute Long Jam on concert G7 Loop

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Z
    Participant
      jake
      Participant

Sweeeet jam u got there. Beautiful sounding tone!!! Nice use of the altissimos too without overdoing them. U have nice control over them. Wish I could go back 20 years n pick up my sax!!!! U may have a bright future ahead of u for sure!!!!!!! Thanks for sharing

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Thanks Amminn for sharing this here on Johnny’s site too. It’s a Beechler MP you’re using and not a Berg Larsen? Don’t even think about changing your Sax set up; you obviously have a solid set up that’s working for you. That is so cool that you got selected in your state for all-state Jazz players–that was a cool video of you playing the Bari on facebook for that event 🙂 You’re playing some really cool riffs/licks like I was saying before, now play some of those key notes with just a little bit more of an “attitude” and not just as ‘notes’ if you get my meaning. Sorry I wasn’t able to finish that Altissimo G help video for you, I e-mailed to you an impromtu help video I had made last fall, but that was just part 1. I was in the process of making part 2-4 for you/other members who needed help and then this stupid jaw thing happened. Good news is that it’s finally on the mend, slowly but surely. For the first time since late March, I can finally feel my actual jaw bone instead of a swollen muscle covering it. Letting it heal naturally like my Orthopedic doctor said seems to be working, so I’m in high hopes of a full recovery in the 60-100 day time frame he gave me…so far it’s been about 10 days LOL I’m counting the days down. You got a lot to look forward to, keep at it and good things will come your way 🙂

Z
          Participant

Haha no need anymore for that video Michael! Altissimo is coming out clearly and pretty easily for me now. Still need to and I do continue to work on it every time I play. It’s sounding great though, and is always improving.

On alto, my setup is a metal beechler bellite 7, which is a killer mouthpiece when paired with the right reed. I’ve somewhat recently switched to playing Fibracell reeds on all horns (bari, tenor, alto), and they all play very well. They sound just as good if not better than a cane reed for me, and they’re easier to play and take control of the this beast in the way that I want it to. (On a side note I play a metal Otto Link 7* for Bari, Jody Jazz HR 7* for Tenor, and Beechler Bellite 7 for Alto, all with a Fibracell #3 reed)

Your setup is important, but here’s an important fact. No matter what mouthpiece and reed you’re playing on, you’re going to sound more or less the same on any setup you play. Sure I still like to mess around with different mouthpieces and reeds just for fun sometimes, but I’m not going to change my setup, because what I have works for me in any scenario I may find myself in, and I have no need or desire to change it. You’re going to sound like you no matter what your setup consists of.

What is most important is that you choose a setup that lets you play and control your horn the way that you want it to; the setup that makes it the EASIEST FOR YOU to play.

Thanks for the comments guys. I hope to be posting more videos in the future!

Michael Bishop
            Participant

@ Amminn: I wish more guys could get in their heads what you just said: No matter what MP/reed combo, or what Sax we’re on, we’re still going to sound like ourselves…and that is because of our own internal anatomy. Our vocal chords, our diaphragm, air support, and our own concept of sound is the No.1 biggest factors that contribute to our tone…it’s even bigger than our MP/reed set up like you said. I know that may be hard for some people to believe, but it’s true. Our own internal anatomy is the single biggest factor that determines our tone/sound, just like you said. Sure, there’s MP/reeds and what that we want to feel comfortable with like you just said, but too many people think that a certain MP is going to unlock the secrets to our success in playing, and in reality is just about working hard to get better. Our ear is important because of our concept of sound. Even if I got a rock and roll MP set up on my Sax, if I don’t have the right concept of sound fixed in my head, then what good is the MP? If you have the right concept of sound fixed in your head, you can get a good, solid sound on almost any MP. As you know, there are good and bad reasons for wanting to switch MPs and that is why I have made the commitment to the MPs that I use. Good for you Amminn to know that and understand that. No, I didn’t think you needed any help with Altissimo any more either. It will get better for you as you continue to use it in your playing. For me, it took like over a year of even playing in that range before I could say it was permanently fused into my playing and was truely part of me. Please keep posting stuff Amminn, you’re doing great. It’s an encouraging for sure….as you know I need the encouragement right now. I got some muscle rub from a doctor who practices homeopathic medicine–the cream he gave me is called Ruta Graveolens. Athletes use it a lot for sprained muscles, tendons, ligaments, etc..

jake
              Participant

That makes 2 of us. I use fibracell reeds for my tenor alto and soprano saxes. I have a crappy fibracell for my Bari that doesn’t play well so I’m using a Rico plasticover that buzzes and sounds amazing on my Bari!! These are great reeds in my opinion. And yes I’ve played nearly a dozen of canes to compare. Of corse I’m 3.5 yrs young in my playing so I’m just going by my personal opinion of comparing everything I’ve played thus far.

Kevin
                Participant

Good riffs, good note stabs, and liked the backing track selection. Wish it would have been more than a minute!!

Anonymous

Sounds great, but I agree with Kevin. I could listen to much more of this music.

Nice one Aminn

Z
                    Participant

Thanks guys! Hey Johnny, I would really appreciate some comments/input on this, that would be awesome, thank you!

john
                      Keymaster

Amin it’s been a while since I heard from you
                        Nice to hear that track tho
                        Sounds like your figuring out the blues improve now
                        Great melodic ideas
                        Nice use of falls, altissimo with slight growl very cool
                        The only mess up I heard was the low note breaking which just needed mor air support
                        A good exercise I do for that and intonation is to jump the octaves:

C then octave up, D then octave up etc

First super long notes as hi as you can go then short eighth notes

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.