Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Reeds Should I consider using a size 3 reed now?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Michael Bishop
    Participant

Hey Johnny, I’ve been using No.2 Juno Cane reeds with my Yamaha 4C MP. I was wondering if I should consider using a No.3 reed now. At this point in my playing, can going from a No.2 to a No.3 help enrich my tone? When I did “What a Wonderful World” on the blog it was with a No.5 Otto Link and didn’t have any problems playing it at all–I did notice that metal MPs are a little harder to play the hard-rubber though, staying away from Metal MPs for now as you had recommended I do–so a hard-rubber No.6 should be up my alley. I’ve been using Juno Cane reeds this year and they’ve been great but have heard a lot of good things said about the Vandoren line of Cane reeds, curious about trying them out. Thanks! 😎

john
      Keymaster

Ya, you can get as much of a headache with reeds as you can with mouthpieces!
        Ya for sure, try a bump up but don’t by-pass the 2 1/2. You should move up by half size not a full size because you’ll notice a big difference in a half size from 2 to 2 1/2….. a jump from 2 to 3 is huge

Michael Bishop
        Participant

Cool. What cane reeds do you use? Have you ever tried/do you use Vandoren cane reeds? Kevin has been using them and he speaks very highly of them. The Juno Cane reeds that I bought from the local music shop were individually sealed and packaged and this is the first time since June I’ve had to buy reeds, so they lasted quite a while. When I bought my Cane reeds, the guy behind the register recommended synthetic reeds for me; even as a beginner I knew not to go that route. I know you make mention of that in your ebook that I just finished 🙂 but the thought of playing on a synthetic reed has never appealed to me. Listening to everyone play, including your videos seems like Cane reeds have a much more “rich” sound than synthetic reeds.

john
          Keymaster

I’ve tried most all of them but use Vandoren “Java”. Vandoren makes several types and Java just works perfectly with my Guardala mp. If I change my mp I may not use the Java;s anymore, I don’t know, they just work with this set up.
            Regardless Vandoren are one of the top and established companies, along with Rico.
            When a guy behind the counter recommends something it’s usually because he wants to make a sale! Maybe your guy had better intentions I can’t say but now that you’ve been playing a while you can try a synthetic reed and see for yourself, it’s the only way. I have one here but I never play it. They just don’t feel as good and to me they don’t have the tone quality as a cane reed. Maybe one day someone will invent one that does but it hasn’t happened yet.

Michael Bishop
            Participant

Synthetic reeds just don’t appeal to me–here on the blog(one of the many benefits of the blog), youtube, etc., I can hear the difference between cane reeds and synthetic reeds. Now before the end of the year 2014, hoping to have the ability to play “Take Five” from your music selection, AWESOME song on the Alto!!! The way you played that song, it has a feeling from a 1950s movie to it 🙂 I think that song would sound great on the Soprano too.
              Speaking of youtube, someone tried to hack my youtube account, working with youtube to see if can find out who did it. Under youtube’s direction, I temporarily removed some of my videos, some were bmx racing related, some were videos our kids made and some Saxophone related. If you try to click on a link in the blog and you temporarily don’t see anything that’s why. I have them all on files on my cpu though, just saving them to help track my progress.

Dazza
              Participant

I’ve been using the same setup as Baboon with a 4C mp and Juno 21/2 but have just tried the ZZZ’s and love the tone. The only problem is I can not get the palm E and D# to come out when I start on them whatever reed I try. Can get a reasonable sound if I go up to them from the C# but to start on them it sounds like a wounded goose! I get a low honk that seems as though the reed is not vibrating enough. Ive been playing solidly for almost a year and get a great tone and manage every other note on my beloved 62 with ease. With you blokes talking about your achievements on altissimo notes I am getting a bit frustrated. I can’t firm up my embouchure any more than I am doing so what is the answer. The MP, the reed, the combo of the two or something else. Any thoughts would be welcomed. I am hoping my new teacher I start with in the coming week can assist.

john
                Keymaster

It’s a common problem and I’ve done at least a couple lessons on this. Check the blog for the “High Notes Sounding Thin” article.
                  Basically it’s a walk-before-you-run thing:
                  Small steps will fix this.
                  Your problem notes start at D# so back up to several notes where you do have control and slowly go up by semi-tone.
                  When you get to your problem note make sure you are giving it as much air and lip control as previous notes.
                  If it still breaks you need to give it more.
                  Start over and hit it like this until it doesn’t break.
                  The reason those high notes are breaking is you’re not giving your sax enough air to make it happen.
                  Do this exercise slowly, holding each note for a good 4 counts.

Michael Bishop
                  Participant

Dazza–I don’t use that reed set up anymore…that post was almost a year ago; thanks for pulling this one out. WOW, can’t believe it was doing that kind of experimenting a year ago! LOL I don’t have to experiment anymore because, 1 year later, I know what works for me. Find the MP/reed combination that works for you and stick with it. This particular exercise that Johnny mentions was a hugh “break through” for me. Now that I’m playing freely in the Altissimo range; I can take a look back and know, for sure, that this exercise of Johnny’s is where it all started for me….and the Chromatic Scales LOL.

Lewis Pelham
                    Participant

On the subject of synthetics….I tired of the continual hassle with cane reeds….continually faffing about in an attempt to make playable more than 3 in a box of 10.
                      Also the soaking & “playing in” procedure.
                      I changed, some years ago to Fobracells & all the troubles were over. They last for ages & are consistent with one another.
                      Doublers use them because they work perfectly dry….pick up the horn & fire away.
                      Those who talk about tonal differences must have better ears than mine.
                      Remember also that Lester Young used them years ago….also the choice of Pete Thomas.
                      Of course, like anything else, one has to become accustomed to them…..but, with all their advantages, surely they are worth a prolonged try before dismissing them out of hand.

Anonymous

yep – there will always be one camp that prefers to roll their own fags, and another camp that prefers to buy fags as they can’t be bothered to roll em!

either way don’t knock either of them until you’ve tried both methods!
                        then make up your own mind!
                        just don’t try and tell me which is better!
                        lol – only kidding!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.