Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Music Theory Sight Reading

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    saxomonica
    Participant

Ya thanks so much @Johnny for your latest video lessons that truly help us all to get progressively more advanced in our sight reading.

We are all counting and clapping on you. Again, thank you.

#HappyCanadaDay 🙂
      Rocking our World.

Anonymous

Good for you – with the sight reading.

With the cost of my weekly one to one sax lessons with a working Pro, and paying for another unrelated weekly activity, i can’t justify the cost of being a premium member.

The only way to speed up sight reading that i know of, is to practice reading ahead when playing.

saxomonica
        Participant

Cheers @walley
          Another unrelated weekly activity?? wot (or who) could it be now
          You International Man of Mystery you!!

Me, never had a sax lesson yet apart from online.
          I lapsed on the Premium Membership for a bit coz of information overload.

Stoked about the music reading thang.
          Lovin’ the tenor sax. Am only just now getting ahead, i found a certain affinity with Johnny’s teaching style.
          Mainly because i noted he sang the notes out – then he started playing them – on many video tutes. It fits well.
          The demonstrative hand clappin’ and enunciating the beats ties everything in.
          We all have our ways.

Have read that the sax most closely resembles the human voice.
          Soon enuff i hope to hear the note in my head and find the sax key to hand ..
          Some where else i read, fortune is within your grasp – just reach for it.

Sax is tricky.
          it has been said that you can learn guitar in a year and be in a band –
          play sax for a year and one might know how to play a coupla songs badly.

It is noted from your YouTube channel, and here, you are a guitarist, like lotsa others on site here.
          When i learnt the guitar i learnt by tab.
          Played blues harmonica by hole numbers. Change keys, change harp, easy peezy. !st, 2nd or 3rd positions.
          Played button accordion by button numbers. The squeezebox push notes all are the same as harp blow notes.

Thus far mainly learnt to play sax by notes, like the tab on video above.
          So learning to read music is snapping my mind. I know some fellow Brothers in the cave, say, are on the same page .

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed are Kings.
          I look at the staff, i squint and look through one eye even lol
          Aha! i can see clearly now …
          Itz raining musical notes haha

“Sings @johnny . i walk the line.
          Give him curry !!
          Howzat. He’s gotta ring of fire, too. lol

It is perceived the very middle of the staff is the note b.
          Itz my first finger.

it grows as it goes …

Everything above that b uses the octave key, except for c and c#, to the high d before palm d.
          Just below the b is a and g, i play these with my right hand as well
          The gap between the two bottom staff lines is f. Itz one of my very fave notes & keys.
          F is a natural blues key that resonates well in the human psyche!
          Hereupon is where we now start to use the left hand in playing.

Aha! The notes on the staff below bottom gap f i gotta use my right hand down to Bb.

e is the bottom note on staff line. g is th top staff line. b above that even looks like a “b” upside down.
          high c resembles the way low C is written.
          etc
          My altissimo g looks like something hard to reach for.

“Do you see what i see” ??

Slow, slow but one day hey i might be able to look ahead and see what you see! You beauty!

Anonymous

lol – you can pick up any instrument, practice for a year and play in a band, depending on how desperate the band is.

Instruments aren’t graded in superiority, personal tastes decide that.

At the end of the day, like every other task in life, it all boils down to how fast you pick things up, and how much of your time you’re prepared to sacrifice, to craft your own style – don’t waste your life trying to copy someone else – come up with something new instead.

@saxomonica
            – you weave words as intricately as a spider traps flies in a web.

saxomonica
            Participant

Noice, and, great advice @walley

From the Latin, where the bee sucks honey the spider sucks poison.

From the Ethiopian, when the webs of the spider join, they can trap a lion.

☻ ♫

Anonymous

I watched the video.

The way Sheet music is written in different styles of music is fascinating. It’s almost like the different dialects spoken in the english language, welsh, Scottish, Irish, Birmingham, London, Yorkshire etc.. all speak english, yet they accent the same words differently, and you can identify them from which region of the Uk they are from.

I started learning to play sheet music, in the traditional classical approach, and all the classical sheets follow the same rules, and you can play the music sheets and sound the same as any other classical player.

Jazz, on the other hand, if you play it like a classical musician, you sound nothing like how a jazz player plays it, and think, its impossible to master, and you assume the jazz player is some kind of gifted player.

When in actual fact, if you study the jazz sheets, more closely,
                you then begin to realise they have their own way of notating music,
                so for instance the traditional classical playing of a joined pair of
                1/8th notes, in jazz by including different types of rests, and the placement of the rests either before or after the pair of 1/8th notes determines lots of completely different ways of playing the same joined pair of 1/8th notes. And if you learn to recognise and follow the jazz rules of notation, you then notice you can pick up a jazz sheet and sound just like the jazz player.

Reading various types of sheets across different music styles, can be very complicated. What makes jazz sheets more complicated, probably from the different areas of the Usa, they may have all notated it differently, so browsing through jazz sheets, you probably find five or six different looking ways of notation, all playing exactly the same sound.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.