Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Your Video Skylark (A Two Year Multi-Media Wedding Anniversary Card For My Wife)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Keith Taylor
    Participant

Some of you may remember the project I did for my wife as a one-year anniversary present and shared on here with you all about this time last year. That project was what got me to playing sax again.

Well, here is what I did for our two-year anniversary. I’m still not happy with my playing, mixing, or video editing on it, but, I gave it my best effort with the time I had available to me to do it in.

It’s interesting to see how I’ve improved, but still not nearly as much as I would have liked.

Enjoy, and I welcome any feedback you all might have. Even bad. Just please make it constructive if so.

-Keith

Mel
      Participant

Nicely done Keith!

john
        Keymaster

Nice very nice. I like that sound.

john
          Keymaster

good work Keit…I searched for your old upload but it wasn’t there…too bad it would be nice to hear it now that you got this one up.

Keith Taylor
            Participant

Thanks y’all!

Johnny, here is a link to the first one:

john
              Keymaster

Great sounds Keith. I’m driving my wife nuts with Sam Cooke’s “Another Saturday Night”. I keep blowing until I get all the parts right. One of these days I’ll post it. Cheers.

Keith Taylor
                Participant

Thanks, William. And here is a pro tip from a non-pro player:

I make it a point not play the song I’ve selected to do for her at all when she is around. I might practice just a short passage I’m working on while she’s here, but nothing to really clue her in on the song or melody.

My thought behind this is that I don’t want her to be absolutely sick of hearing me work on it by the time she hears it in the video. So, as soon as I select the song I only practice it when she isn’t here. This is only possible because I work from home, and she doeesn’t, so I’m able to practice while she’s gone and always try to.

I’m sure my neighbors might be absolutely sick of Skylark at this point though…

Keith

john
                  Keymaster

ya good idea for the practicing of it Keith. I would say this year’s recording wins out on intonation, even tho you’re sitting down. I found that it’s easier to play better (volume, in tune etc)) while belting it out a bit more and that is generally easier while standing.

Keith Taylor
                    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to check it out, Johnny. I have been really working on my intonation recently, as I really only just realized how of I was on my middle D, which is a key no in the song since it’s what the melody starts on.

As far as me sitting verses standing goes. I actually prefer to stand too. My back often prefers that I sit though.

My horn is a Cannonball and they’re heavy, so it often will set off my lower back after playing for a while. I’ve found that sitting doesn’t seem to inflame it as much.

I also have been trying to get the concept of playing softly while still putting plenty of air through the horn. I’ve had several people that know what they’re talking about comment that I need to work on my air support recently. You saying “belting it out” makes me think you may have picked up on the same thing.

I also am somewhat trying to emulate Aubra Graves by sitting and having my mic in closer. He always sits when he plays, likely because he’s a pretty old guy I realize. It was mentioned to me that I should move my mic in closer which would allow me to not have to blow as hard. But that same person was one of those that mentioned to me that I needed to work on “keeping my tank full.”

Also found that I tend to move around more when I stand, which is fine when the mic isn’t as close in to the horn, but when it is, I can really jack up the levels on the recording by moving.

But sometimes I can cheat with it by working the mic. Moving in and out from the mic to do what I should be doing with my air flow.

I’m steadily learning and experimenting. Next song I do will definitely be a stand up song since I will need to put more “belt” into it.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen and give feedback.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.