Skip to main content

Home Alt Forums Share a Video Sonny Meets Hawk

• This topic has 14 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by john.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Mel
    Participant

Sonny Rollins and Coleman Hawkins

Mel
      Participant

This Coleman Hawkins Is Good!!!

Mel
        Participant

Mel
          Participant

Mel
            Participant

john
              Keymaster

thanks mel, love all this stuff.
                also been listening to a lot of Ben Webster and Gerry Mulligan (2 of my faves).

Mel
                Participant

I have been listening to some of Ben Webster. He is very good also. I’ll have to check out Gerry Mulligan.

Thanks!

Mel

john
                  Keymaster

Mulligan is a bari player. check out his octet stuff. he usually doesn’t use a piano player in these and writes for a handful of horns, like 3 saxes and a trumpet or bone. this set up has a very cool sound and leaves it more open for the horns…very tasty and interesting stuff from him.

Z
                    Participant

Check out King of the Tenors and Soulville by Ben Webster. Those are my two favorite albums of his. Also take a look at Coleman Hawkins Meets Ben Webster, where the two play with the Oscar Peterson Trio. They’re all fantastic albums, and they’re all on YouTube!

Mel
                      Participant

Spent the day listening to Gerry Mulligan. Thanks Johnny! There is so much good music of his. I haven’t paid much attention to the baritone saxophone but he sure can play. He has an album with Ben Webster also plus one with Stan Getz. Liked a lot of the piano less music with Chet Baker also. All good stuff!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.